StolpSaddles

Round knife problems

I have an Osborn round knife that works great while it is sharp. Problem is that it will not stay sharp. I can not cut out 1 saddle fender without having to strop constantly. Has this knife lost its temper. I am frustrated and ready to throw it out. Can I re-temper it.

I find I use my snap blade knife all the time because of this problem.

Thanks for any advise.

I used to have similar problems until Bob Douglas explained to me how he prepped his knives. I don't know if this will apply to you or not, but removing approximately 3/4" of "shoulder" from the edge made my edge last much longer. It thins the cutting edge increasing the sharpness of the knife. What you are describing sounds to me like your cutting edge is too round. It is important not to mechanically grind the shoulder down as it is very easy to overheat the edge resulting in a loss of temper.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Unlikely that your knife has lost it's temper unless the edge has been heated in some manner. Most likely cause is not removing the wire edge when sharpening. If the wire edge is there it will cut fine for a few inches then roll over. Light stroping will reallign it and it will cut for a few more inches and roll. I remove the wire edge by honing on 1200 grit glued to a piece of plate glass then stropping on a rouge charged leather. I can cut for quite a while before I hear the leather being cut. When I hear the crunch I go right to the strop. I can keep the knife going most of a day before honing again.

I use a round knife for all of my work and nothing else period. I try to keep the edge at a 17 - 20 degree angle.

I only sharpen about once a month complety. I touch up about every other day on 2000 grit wet dry paper and strop with jewlers rouge several times a day when in use. There is nothing like a sharp knife and it is a must. On the other hand there is nothing like a dull knife and they are very dangerous. I try and keep my knives way past sharp. I tell folks my knives are like taking a new razor blade and sharpening them to cut. Rawhide did a very good thread just a few days ago on sharpening your tools.

Hope this helps.

How to sharpen a head knife

Edited by MikePatterson

well I sat down tonight to sharpen my CS Osborne round knife again. I spent 1.5 hrs. on it. I have some good quality water stones from Lee Valley tools.

I started with an 800 stone, then onto the 1000 and finally a 4000. Lastly I stropped on a leather with rouge. I figured I finally will have a sharp round knife.

WRONG!!! !It still will not even cut a sheet of paper let alone my finger. I wonder if it will stick in the wall as a throwing knife when I throw it.

I have had this knife for 3 years and it still is a piece of junk. I have never been able to get it sharp. I have a strait knife that is great, no problem to sharpen and keep sharp. This must be a bad blade.

Can I re-temper it? Sure cant make it worse..

Edited by StolpSaddles

Ron,

if that's a modern Osborne knife, I'd get rid of it. For the type of work you are doing you will always be frustrated with it. I know because when I first started making saddles I rushed out and bought one and no matter what I did to it, it wouldn't keep an edge. Do yourself a favour and invest in a decent new custom knife. Do a search of this forum to find the thread on everyone's favorite knives. I myself have three from Ellis Barnes (the stamp maker) that are so sharp it'd make you cry knowing you suffered without one for three years.

As an alternative, get on ebay and find an old osborne (the handle will be tapered and rounded at the end as opposed the the sawed off end on what you probably have. They aren't quite as good as some of the modern knives but infinitly better than the newer Osbornes.

Darc

Thanks Darc. I think I will look for a new knife.

How is the one that weaver leather sells, I think it is there mastercraft knife , not sure I will have to look it up in the catalog.

I'd agree with the recommendations about the old round knives. My particular favorite old knives are made by Clyde Cutlery. They also made the Shapleigh Diamond Edge knives too. If you can hit a deal on an old Rose, they are really good too along with the ones mentioned already. For a new knife I couldn't be happier with one I bought from Bob Dozier. They are a little spendy, but I haven't begrudged that at all. Bob's number is 1-888-823-0023. He is trying to get some stock built up for the trade shows, otherwise it is a wait.

Just one more suggestion to consider...........I have a couple of Jeremiah Watt's knives that I have been very pleased with. JW

If you care to look further afield , you can check Ebay france for round knives made by Blanchard it is superb quality and it is not selling for lots

good luck