karen

This is my work

Hi all,

This is the first time I have attempted to post to the list. I have learned so much form you all and here is the fruits of my work. Please let me know what you think. Attached are 4 plait round braided dog leashes and a convertable collar.

Karen

2__4_strand_2.JPG

Sue_T_1_006.jpg

turq_and_white.JPG

convertable_collar_1.jpg

post-5546-1234912171_thumb.jpg

post-5546-1234912189_thumb.jpg

post-5546-1234912212_thumb.jpg

post-5546-1234912223_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

This is the first time I have attempted to post to the list. I have learned so much form you all and here is the fruits of my work. Please let me know what you think. Attached are 4 plait round braided dog leashes and a convertable collar.

Karen

Hi Karen,

You're coming along well. I particularly like the first one.

I see a some things you might want to work on to "polish" your braiding.

In the second pic, it looks like the strings haven't been beveled. If you bevel them and then roll the finished braid, you will get a smoother, finished look. If you're not familiar with rolling, you do the same as you would to create clay ropes. Use a piece of smooth hardwood and roll the braid between it and a smooth hard surface.

Other thing I noticed is on the 2-colored braid. The pattern rotates around the braid. This is caused (if not intentional) by variations in the way the strings are layed and tightened when braiding.

Keep it up! You have some nice designs. :)

Hedge

Wow you do have a pretty good start going on. I'll have to agree with Hedge about the rolling, it really gives things a nice finished look. I'm not sure about this but I wonder if maybe your braid could be a bit more tight.

Those dog leashes with the beads are really popular! I see them everywhere.

Pretty good lookin' stuff, Karen...keep it up!!

Ok, how do I bevel the edges. I buy my kangaroo lace as I use it, I have never tried to bevel the edges and wouldn't know how to start. Also, the braids were tightened after each pass. I'm not sure how I could get tehm any tighter.

Karen

On 'roo you bevel the flesh side or the bottom side and it can be done with a sharp knife by hand or you can use a black skiver VERY carefully or if you have a lace cutter they often come with an edge beveler. Also, if you are not then you should try casing the 'roo even if it is just applying a bit of saddle soap to the strings letting hem set to absorb some moisture and then braiding. It will help keep the braid tight and smooth out your work. you could even take the saddle soap to the finished product, case it and then roll it or pull it to smooth things out and even the braid up a bit.

Vaya con Dios, Alan bell

Ok, how do I bevel the edges. I buy my kangaroo lace as I use it, I have never tried to bevel the edges and wouldn't know how to start. Also, the braids were tightened after each pass. I'm not sure how I could get tehm any tighter.

Karen

Yours look tight enough, Karen. It's not a matter of getting them tighter. Just a using consistent tension. You can keep an eye on the effect by watching the "V's" on the previous lays and keeping them lined up.

As to beveling, check out Hilly's post here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...amp;hl=beveling

Hedge

I'm sorry, I said I could be wrong. Probably just the beveling thing and the pictures are a bit difficult to see. You really do have a lovely start going.