eastwes

Splitting 11 oz down to 8-9 oz

I have to fill a 50 belt order by next week and my supplier(Siegel) failed to mention they were out of the 8-9 oz veg tanned I normally use, so I've been forced to use my tabletop mounted leather skiver to shave 2 ounces off all these straps. Although the blade is sharp, some areas of the are so rigid that the hide will not pull through the skiver. It looks like it occurs in areas where the hide has been industrially split and/or compressed. Does anyone have any advice on salvaging this leather?

Also, I've been forced to redo several finished belts because of cracking. My working process is the same, so I'm wondering if the leather is to blame, or perhaps the weather. There's nothing more frustrating than a beautiful, finished product of hard work cracking in your hands when you begin to soften it.

Sincerely,

Blistery-Handed Fellow Leatherworker Going Mad

I've since ordered the desired weight leather from Weaver in case I am unable to skive the hides I have to the desired thickness.

if it was me doing 50 belts, I'd order the thickness I wanted from Weaver, and have them cut and edge the straps. They only charge about 11 bucks per side and it saves a ton of time. For a bit more, they'll crease them too.

Sorry about your problem. It's hard enough to run a business without problems like that. Is the 11 oz leather you are using from Siegel? Or old stock of yours?

SkipJ

Edited by skipj

Sorry about your problem. It's hard enough to run a business without problems like that. Is the 11 oz leather you are using from Siegel? Or old stock of yours?

SkipJ

It was Siegel 11 oz. I went to work on it the day I received it.

if it was me doing 50 belts, I'd order the thickness I wanted from Weaver, and have them cut and edge the straps. They only charge about 11 bucks per side and it saves a ton of time. For a bit more, they'll crease them too.

the

Thanks. I was thinking about doing that. Nice to hear that it's good service. But, my guide cut has a curve to it. Chicks dig it. Sits on their hips better.

Re: cracking problems. What sort of finish are you using?

Personally, I apply a liberal application of neatsfoot oil to everything and this seems to eliminate cracking.

My saddlemaker mentor referred to those as bones as that what it felt like. Sometimes restarting from the other end will get you thro it. I encountered two when cutting out a saddle. He said it could be caused by an animal getting bruised which resulted in scarring underneath the surface. I too would much rather get straps in the needed thickness