ClayB

Monthly Figure carving challenge (March)

Thank you Pip and Mike for the nice words. The reason I join in on this venture is to help out anyone who wants it, not to mention it's just plain fun! I've never done a zebra before, but it's just like a horse with big fuzzy ears and stripes.

Clay, you could make the blue tree frog with black spots the challenge for next month. I know you'll figure out how to do one, then Jessi will be happy. I picked up a toad skin at Wickenburg, just because it looked cool. Dot Reis asked if I was going to make a toad stool. I'm likely to do that. I could inlay the skin and tool little frogs around it and put it on a small, round stool. If you firgure out the tree frog, I could add those.

Anyway, with the stripes, find a photo of a real zebra and do yours to look like that. They tend to not connect in the front or around the legs or under the barrel. They aren't perfect, either, so don't try to make them that way. Notice that the mane has a lot of black in the tips. You could cover him with mud, like some zebras, then you wouldn't have to worry about the stripes. I know you'll get the stripes the way you want them. 42 times ought to do the trick!

Kathy

Really impressive yaklay, love your painting on this one :thumbsup:

And you're so right about the stripes...No two zebras will have the same pattern, it is like their fingerprints. The stripes actually goes all the way up in to the mane. I have painted zebra or zebra patterns for years, i love to incorporate them in my interior design, it speaks to "my wild side" :banana:

Doing a goodle search for zebra pictures brought up gave me a lot to look at, and one picture of a zebra with it's mouth open.

I promised that next month's figure carving challenge would be an easy one. Can you (Kathy) or Tina draw me an easy to do pattern of a tree frog????? Not sure if this is really a tree frog or not, but this is what she wanted. I think the coloring will be more of a challenge than the actual carving.

We'd all love to see some of your paintings Tina!

zebra1.jpg

Here's my submission to the monthly challenge. It was definitely a challenge. This is the kind of thing you need to do to improve your carving and painting skills. I had to look up a photo of a zebra to get the color correct, but the red shadows for the stripes on the pattern were accurate. No two zebras have the same stripes, so any way they go on is acceptable. I have never looked inside the mounth of a zebra to see what color the gums are, so that had to be a guess. Since the muzzle is gray, I decided to go with that color scheme. The shadowing of the muscling should be done before the stipes are painted on. I enjoyed this pattern and hope that lots more people do it before the month is over.

Kathy

Kathy

Wow,great picture,the colouring(sorry,english spelling :angel_not: ),is fantastic (means the same in either language :notworthy: )!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I promised that next month's figure carving challenge would be an easy one. Can you (Kathy) or Tina draw me an easy to do pattern of a tree frog????? Not sure if this is really a tree frog or not, but this is what she wanted. I think the coloring will be more of a challenge than the actual carving.

Is this sorta what you had in mind Clay?

100_6742.JPG

If so, lemme know, and I'll PM you the line drawing.

post-5374-1205607443_thumb.jpg

Edited by TwinOaks

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind, right down to the leaf it's sitting on. She has a calendar page like that and she requested it sitting on a leaf. I would appreciate the drawing, even though I alread laced up her album without the pocket. I can use the frog on something else. Thank you!

Clay

Kathy

Wow,great picture,the colouring(sorry,english spelling :angel_not: ),is fantastic (means the same in either language :notworthy: )!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your spelling is fine by me! I'm used to looking at Peter Main's spelling. Aussies are the same. I think "thank you" is spelled the same either place.

Clay, it looks like you're set with the frog now. I have a friend who likes frogs, so I can tell you from experience, they're a piece of cake!