Sign in to follow this  
adaman04

Please critique my holster pattern.

I've got some leather on order and still need to gather up a few more supplies but I had some free time last night so I thought I would lay out a preliminary pattern. I was hoping that you all would add your comments to help out a rookie.

I'm going for an avenger style holster for my Glock 30. The Galco Avenger has been one that I have been taking some reference from, but I have made some changes. I thought I might need to round the top corner of the shown belt loop some more. Anything you might change or something I should take in to consideration, please let me know.

Fire away boys!

g30pattern.jpg

Edited by adaman04

the pattern looks like a good starting point.

to me the belt slot in the pattern appears to far away from the handgun.

i would prefer the slot be 1/2" to 3/4" to the left of where it is now on the pattern

i personaly would punch the belt slot in the leather after you wet mold the holster main body.

this way you will be able to adjust the slot according to the holster when formed

i always form the belt area after the holster has been wet molded.

this helps me to see more clearly how the holster will hang on the belt.

all the edges look to be well rounded which is good.

be sure to post pic when finished.

The only suggestion I would make is to have the edge of the leather that forms the top of the belt slot make the turn up toward the rear sight after it has crossed the line of the trigger guard. This will allow more space for the shooter's middle finger to get a shooting grip before the draw starts without running onto the top edge of the holster. That little bit of the trigger guard where it curves into the grip should be exposed so that the hand isn't starting the draw, and then trying to change position as it's coming on target.

I hope that's clear. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify it.

Mike

leatherjunkie-

If I follow you, move the belt loop closer to the gun and cut it after the holster is cemented, sewed and molded so I can put it where I want without having to worry about the slot not lining up right front to back. I wanted to be sure it pulled the gun in tight, so moving it as you say may be a good option.

Mike Craw-

You're saying have the top edge of the holster over the loop continue horizontally until it gets just to the trigger guard, then move up at an angle toward the rear sight so I don't pinch my trigger finger. I definitely agree with this.

Thank you both for the comments. More are always welcome.

Edited by adaman04

in a nut shell yep.

for this style of holster i wet mold before sewing and coloring.

but it may not be the way to form this style of holster, its just the way i do it.

wet mold it let dry, then glue holster. then look at where you want the belt slot at.

at this time punch the slot out. trim up the leather on the side of the slot that is excess if needed.

now its time to sew.

this is just my way of doing this style of holster. i know that others have been able to iron out the patterns to the point that they can sew it before wet molding.

i have not figured out how to do that yet. therefore i just wet mold then sew.

dont worry about making mistakes, each holster will bring you closer to perfection.

Adaman.

As Mike suggested make your upswing towards the rear site after you have crossed the trigger guard. Not only will you allow more room for your fingers and a good solid grip, but you want to make sure the top edge of your holster falls below the magazine release so that the magazine release button isn't accidently pushed in by the top of the holster. I can't see the magazine release so that may or may not be a problem with your pattern.

Good Luck

Randy

I also think it's a great start. I would do pretty much the same as everyone else as far as curves go. Also, there's probably not enough room left at the fold over the top of the slide. In any case, I've attached a quick Photoshop image for you. Make sure to post pics when you're done!

g30_avenger.jpg

post-6346-1236865729_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks for the photoshop. I wanted to get an idea for the shape of the holster, then will try and transfer it to a file folder to make room for the fold/slide. Thanks for all the help so far. Need to get some thread ordered. This will be stitched by hand so I'm looking at waxed nylon. Anything I need to know about thread other than buy quality thread?

The item that catches my eye is the upper line of the holster above the trigger guard. I like to make sure that the magazine release button is clear of the holster so that contact with the holster doesn't pop the mag release. Looking at my Glocks, it appears that you are very close there.

Thanks Lobo! I will keep that in mind for sure.