neelsaddlery

COWBOY SEWING MACHINES AND THE TRUTH ABOUT THE PRICE DECREASE

Hello folks:

I am Ryan O. Neel, the co-founder and USA distributor of Cowboy Sewing Machines. We seem to be seeing a lot of talk on the forum about the new prices of the 441 short arm clones.

Many of you may have seen my postings on this forum before, as well as Bob Kovar's and my advertisements in the major trade publications.

The notion of this price decrease seems to be a hot topic on this forum, and so I thought I would add my two cents worth. Some of the things you have been reading about the price decrease and reasons behind them are true, and some of them are false.

There are a lot of you on the forum who have seen Bob Kovar and I at the trade shows and bought from us, as well as posted your favorable comments on this forum regarding our products. For this I am grateful, and I do appreciate all of your kind words.

Firstly, let me go on the record as saying that I feel that this web forum is NOT the place to discuss such items of a heavily commercial nature. There are many people here who are loyal to all three of the major dealers which contribute to this forum. This forum is a place to share the free exchange of ideas regarding machinery, their attributes and qualities, tips for operation and better performance, and so forth. I do not think it is a good place to pitch sales to prospective customers, and for dealers of machinery to carry out character assassination.

There is indeed a price war occurring here between all of the dealers of these 441 short arm sewing machines. Everybody has either lowered their prices to the same level or attempted to offer pitches to customers in order to sway them into purchasing a machine from them. I personally do not think this forum is the place to carry on such discussions.

As for how Cowboy plays into this price war, let me go on the record saying the following: Our machines at NOT made in the same factories overseas that either Artisan or Cobra machines are manufactured in. We DO NOT buy our needle plates, presser feet, feed dogs, or attachments from any of the same suppliers that Artisan or Cobra use. All of our accessories are made to our standards in our own factories. Our presser feet are investment cast from solid stainless steel, our needle plates are drop forged of solid stainless steel. Our shuttle hooks are titanium nitride coated, and our machines come with an extra large flywheel of our own design.

One thing that you, as a prospective customer and buyer of a new sewing machine should be aware of, is that this price war cannot continue for long. This is my personal opinion of course, but with the buy price in China going up higher and higher everyday, it will be impossible for the "Big Three" to continue to offer these prices for long. The profit margins on the 441 short arm sewing machine have diminished to such a point that it will be impossible for any of the dealers of these machines to make money. Let's face it, as a dealer or manufacturer, or importer of sewing machines, we are running a business, and as such, we are all trying to make money.

Just as the saddlemaker that uses our machines must make a profit to pay for his overhead, to pay for his house, to pay for his car, to provide for his family, so must we as distributors of machinery. There is a tremendous amount of preparation that must go into the sale of each machine sold. The stand and table must be set up, the motor tested and installed, the speed reducer aligned and installed, every nut, bolt, and screw in the machine head must be checked. The machine must be sewn off through many different materials to insure flawless performance, the machine head must be calibrated and adjusted. The list goes on and on

What will be end result of this price war for the consumer? It is hard to say. Perhaps the 441 short arm sewing machine will become a "loss leader" for the big three. The emphasis will switch to other sewing machines. Maybe pressures will be put on overseas factories to reduce cost even further. Could we see a day and time when the 441 short arm will cease to exist? It is hard to say.

All I can say for now is if you you have been remotely thinking about getting one of these machines, now is the time to buy, as either the prices or the machines will not be around for long.

I have been importing, distributing, repairing, and servicing sewing machines for many years now, and I am well aware of what these machines cost in the overseas market. This cannot continue forever.

What can I say about Cowboy and where we will be? I can tell you that we are well backed with firm financing, our business emphasis is not only on new machines, but also on used machines. Between Bob Kovar and I, we offer over 14,000.00 square feet of new, used, and refurbished machinery in two separate facilities.

We sell, service, and repair all makes and models. We offer customer support, service tips, and sewing advice for all makes and models. We service and repair all competitor's machinery. Not only do we sell, service, and repair industrial models and "leather stitchers" but we sell, service, and repair all home sewing machine models. No matter the age, no matter the make.

We have access to an expansive parts inventory not only covering all the Cowboy models, but for most all other makes and models as well.

If any of you would like to obtain additional information about the "crisis" that is going on right now with regard to the 441 short arm clones, or would like to obtain information about Cowboy products, and where we stand in all of this, please feel free to call or e-mail me directly. I can be e-mailed at:

neelre@comcast.net

I can be phoned at: (330) 692-1418.

Bob Kovar can be reached at (419) 380-8540.

Our website address is : www.cowboysew.com

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and thank you to all of our loyal customers over the years.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated from customers and those directly involved.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Neel's Saddlery and Harness

Cowboy Sewing Machines

Hi Ryan,

I was hoping that you would be at Wickenberg, I wanted to check out the CB 105.

Steve

Hi Ryan,

I was hoping that you would be at Wickenberg, I wanted to check out the CB 105.

Steve

Steve:

Wickenburg is quite a haul for us, as we are located in Ohio. It would be something like 1800 miles one way!!!!! However, we will be at the Sheridan show and also at the Witchita falls show in Texas.

Ryan O. Neel

I'm in LA so those ones I won't be able to make this year. Is the CB 105 a walking foot?

Steve:

Wickenburg is quite a haul for us, as we are located in Ohio. It would be something like 1800 miles one way!!!!! However, we will be at the Sheridan show and also at the Witchita falls show in Texas.

Ryan O. Neel

When is the Witchita Falls show?

I'm in LA so those ones I won't be able to make this year. Is the CB 105 a walking foot?

No, the CB 105 is a drop feed machine. It just has feed dogs used to advance the leather while feeding. But, it will sew about 1/2" thick, with all of the heavier threads used for horse tack, holsters, and knife sheaths.

Ryan O. Neel

Thanks for the info Ryan.

When is the Witchita Falls show?

The Witchita Falls show should be in October of this year. It is actually called the Boot and Saddle Maker's Roundup. Ed and Kathy Kimmel put it on. They do have a website, but I can't remember the address. Just type in "Boot and Saddle Makers Roundup, Witchita Falls Texas" into Google and it should come up.

Ryan O. Neel

The Witchita Falls show should be in October of this year. It is actually called the Boot and Saddle Maker's Roundup. Ed and Kathy Kimmel put it on. They do have a website, but I can't remember the address. Just type in "Boot and Saddle Makers Roundup, Witchita Falls Texas" into Google and it should come up.

Ryan O. Neel

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm up in DFW now so I'm well within traveling distance.

Hello folks:

I am Ryan O. Neel, the co-founder and USA distributor of Cowboy Sewing Machines. We seem to be seeing a lot of talk on the forum about the new prices of the 441 short arm clones.

Many of you may have seen my postings on this forum before, as well as Bob Kovar's and my advertisements in the major trade publications.

The notion of this price decrease seems to be a hot topic on this forum, and so I thought I would add my two cents worth. Some of the things you have been reading about the price decrease and reasons behind them are true, and some of them are false.

There are a lot of you on the forum who have seen Bob Kovar and I at the trade shows and bought from us, as well as posted your favorable comments on this forum regarding our products. For this I am grateful, and I do appreciate all of your kind words.

Firstly, let me go on the record as saying that I feel that this web forum is NOT the place to discuss such items of a heavily commercial nature. There are many people here who are loyal to all three of the major dealers which contribute to this forum. This forum is a place to share the free exchange of ideas regarding machinery, their attributes and qualities, tips for operation and better performance, and so forth. I do not think it is a good place to pitch sales to prospective customers, and for dealers of machinery to carry out character assassination.

There is indeed a price war occurring here between all of the dealers of these 441 short arm sewing machines. Everybody has either lowered their prices to the same level or attempted to offer pitches to customers in order to sway them into purchasing a machine from them. I personally do not think this forum is the place to carry on such discussions.

As for how Cowboy plays into this price war, let me go on the record saying the following: Our machines at NOT made in the same factories overseas that either Artisan or Cobra machines are manufactured in. We DO NOT buy our needle plates, presser feet, feed dogs, or attachments from any of the same suppliers that Artisan or Cobra use. All of our accessories are made to our standards in our own factories. Our presser feet are investment cast from solid stainless steel, our needle plates are drop forged of solid stainless steel. Our shuttle hooks are titanium nitride coated, and our machines come with an extra large flywheel of our own design.

One thing that you, as a prospective customer and buyer of a new sewing machine should be aware of, is that this price war cannot continue for long. This is my personal opinion of course, but with the buy price in China going up higher and higher everyday, it will be impossible for the "Big Three" to continue to offer these prices for long. The profit margins on the 441 short arm sewing machine have diminished to such a point that it will be impossible for any of the dealers of these machines to make money. Let's face it, as a dealer or manufacturer, or importer of sewing machines, we are running a business, and as such, we are all trying to make money.

Just as the saddlemaker that uses our machines must make a profit to pay for his overhead, to pay for his house, to pay for his car, to provide for his family, so must we as distributors of machinery. There is a tremendous amount of preparation that must go into the sale of each machine sold. The stand and table must be set up, the motor tested and installed, the speed reducer aligned and installed, every nut, bolt, and screw in the machine head must be checked. The machine must be sewn off through many different materials to insure flawless performance, the machine head must be calibrated and adjusted. The list goes on and on

What will be end result of this price war for the consumer? It is hard to say. Perhaps the 441 short arm sewing machine will become a "loss leader" for the big three. The emphasis will switch to other sewing machines. Maybe pressures will be put on overseas factories to reduce cost even further. Could we see a day and time when the 441 short arm will cease to exist? It is hard to say.

All I can say for now is if you you have been remotely thinking about getting one of these machines, now is the time to buy, as either the prices or the machines will not be around for long.

I have been importing, distributing, repairing, and servicing sewing machines for many years now, and I am well aware of what these machines cost in the overseas market. This cannot continue forever.

What can I say about Cowboy and where we will be? I can tell you that we are well backed with firm financing, our business emphasis is not only on new machines, but also on used machines. Between Bob Kovar and I, we offer over 14,000.00 square feet of new, used, and refurbished machinery in two separate facilities.

We sell, service, and repair all makes and models. We offer customer support, service tips, and sewing advice for all makes and models. We service and repair all competitor's machinery. Not only do we sell, service, and repair industrial models and "leather stitchers" but we sell, service, and repair all home sewing machine models. No matter the age, no matter the make.

We have access to an expansive parts inventory not only covering all the Cowboy models, but for most all other makes and models as well.

If any of you would like to obtain additional information about the "crisis" that is going on right now with regard to the 441 short arm clones, or would like to obtain information about Cowboy products, and where we stand in all of this, please feel free to call or e-mail me directly. I can be e-mailed at:

neelre@comcast.net

I can be phoned at: (330) 692-1418.

Bob Kovar can be reached at (419) 380-8540.

Our website address is : www.cowboysew.com

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and thank you to all of our loyal customers over the years.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated from customers and those directly involved.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Cowboy Sewing Machines

Ryan... excellent post. It would have been interesting (and a lot more difficult for me) if you guys had made it to IFOLG last year when I was in the market to buy a 441 clone. I ended up buying a 4000 LA-25 from Steve and Jerry... as they were there... but I must say that I respect you very much and have always liked your style. Your post is indicative of your quality.

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon: