rht

Hello from Oklahoma

Been watching, reading and learning here for a while. This is a great resource! Thought it was about time to say "hi". After a hiatus of fifty years I got my original tools out of the attic a couple of years ago to try leatherworking again. Getting close to retirement I thought it might be a good way to keep me from going bonkers watching daytime TV.

I just wish I could improve at a faster rate, but I keep pounding away and am thankful

for any signs of progress and this forum has been a great help.

Here are a few photos of a couple of my more recent ambitious projects. One thing I've learned is that photos can be heartless reality checks. They are great for finding all

the little uh-ohs. Anyway here they are warts and all.

Both of these are firsts - first briefcase for me and first purse for my wife. I am planning

on doing more.

The corner patterns on the briefcase are from a Chan Geer Corner Pattern Packet. The roses on the purse are adapted from "The Great Book of Floral Patterns" by Lora Irish.

Hello again from Oklahoma.

Thank you for looking.

rht

BriefCase_a.jpg BriefCaseDetail_1a.jpg

DSC_1885a.jpg DSC_1881a.jpg DSC_1887a.jpg

post-4537-1237219856_thumb.jpg

post-4537-1237219871_thumb.jpg

post-4537-1237220018_thumb.jpg

post-4537-1237220031_thumb.jpg

post-4537-1237220041_thumb.jpg

Welcome rht!

Those bags are great! You haven't lost much since you put away your tools, that's for sure! Just imagine after a few more months. Yikes....

Doesn't look to me like you've forgotten anything! Both pieces look great! I know what it's like to try to start again, I took twenty years off myself. The great news is that there are more sources for tools, patterns, material and references than there ever has been, and most can been found right here on LW!

Great job!

Bob

:welcome: to Leatherworker.net!

Great looking work rht!

well its 'bout time we get some fellow okies on here, glad to have you. nice work, James

Classic and classy. Nice quality work and great design on that briefcase!

I would like to thank you all for the nice comments.

Like I said before this forum is such a great resource. It is wonderful to have a place where the

professionals are more than willing to share with those that are just starting out and hobbiests like

myself and where there can be discussions without egos getting in the way.

Just a great environment!

Thank you again.

rht

Welcome I look forward to your future posts, great work on the handbags.

One quick question...

What did you use for a finish on the bags? They are Beautiful!

rht,

They look nice. The finish looks nice also. Welcome aboard! Taking time out has happened to a lot of us.

Regards,

Ben

Sasquatch and Ben,

I am glad you liked the finish. The finish is Tandy's Eco- All-in-One Cherry Chocolate followed with little

antique paste and topped off with Neat-Lac for better waterproofing. This was after the customary

oiling and sunning.

I love the color (my favorite), not crazy about the way the All-in-One behaves on application on larger smooth areas. I wish they offered the same color in regular stain or dye formulations. So if anyone out there has extensive experience with the All-in-One colors I would like to compare notes.

Thank you,

rht