OK folks--here's a newbie question. On many saddles, ,mostly new ones, the front saddle string is rolled up and 'braided' or tied up. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I hope this makes sense.

OK folks--here's a newbie question. On many saddles, ,mostly new ones, the front saddle string is rolled up and 'braided' or tied up. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I hope this makes sense.

is this what you are talking about?

053.jpg

SOS--thanks for the reply, but that is not what I'm asking about. I'm inquiring as to how the front string is rolled or braided on some sadlles--and I'm not doing a very good job of describing this. I guess you would say that it resembles the 'hank' portion of a hangman's knot.

yeah I don't know what your talking about. Good luck.

http://www.246ranch.net/images/cox_15.jpg

A few days ago I saw your post and didn't know what you were talking about. In search of somthing else, I stubled across this saddle pic and noticed somthing that maybe simular to what you have in mind. I'm not realy sure what the purpose of the idea is but looks like you just take your two strings, go about half way down, fold the strings taking them back up the strand a ways, then wrap the tails of the string around the main body and out the eye you created at the bottom. :deadsubject:

hope that helps.

jed

P.S. - you may have to copy and paste the web address if the link dosen't work

http://www.246ranch.net/images/cox_15.jpg

A few days ago I saw your post and didn't know what you were talking about. In search of somthing else, I stubled across this saddle pic and noticed somthing that maybe simular to what you have in mind. I'm not realy sure what the purpose of the idea is but looks like you just take your two strings, go about half way down, fold the strings taking them back up the strand a ways, then wrap the tails of the string around the main body and out the eye you created at the bottom. :deadsubject:

hope that helps.

jed

P.S. - you may have to copy and paste the web address if the link dosen't work

I have a few friends that tie their latio up because there so long, it keeps them from getting riped off from hanging so low.

they r so long because they do lot of back country rides with just there saddle horses they tie their sleeping bags n wht ever else they need behind the saddle

Flathat--that's exaclty what I'm tlaking about--what do you call it and how do you tie it?? Any help out there?

Just like you said: you wrap it up and put a half hitch in it, going under the last wrap with the loose end. Most of the ones I've seen like this are done at saddle factories to keep the strings out of the way when shipping new saddles.

Here are instructions: http://fishinglakes.com/knots.htm Look for "scaffold knot" about 1/3 of the way down the page.

Do steps 1 and 2 of the scaffold knot, then tuck the loose end of the saddle string through the open loop (the loop on the left hand side of the drawing in step 2), rather than fish it through the wraps as shown in steps 3 and 4.

Don't pull on the knot to tighten the loop too much -- it will be really difficult to undo.

Hope this helps! --DeeAnna