Sign in to follow this  
Shavonne

Hello from Northern Virginia (Beginner)!

Hi Everyone. I'm a beginner at leather crafting. I love designer handbags, but can't afford the prices (anywhere from $800 to 50,000.00 dollars, if not more)!

I am tired of lusting over these handbags on luxury department store websites and purse forums. I prefer to make my own purse and not worry about a thousand dollar handbag falling apart (a common complaint).

I started researching 2 years ago and have gotten really serious in the last month or so.

So far I've taken sewing classes, bought a sewing machine, ordered samples of different leathers, contacted Tandy about leather classes, borrowed books from library, etc. I believe it's time to start now, enough research!

I found this fantastic forum today during my search! Of course I joined, =).

Right now I am in the process of drafting my own handbag pattern, a clutch (made of exotic. I know nothing about drafting, so pencil and paper are my best friends at this point.

Hopefully, I don't become bothersome with my questions.

By the way…I am off to post my first question. I'm in need of a program for drafting patterns; it's difficult using freehand for some things (I am wasting too much paper and erasers, lol).

Edited by Shavonne

Welcome to the Forum. Do a search (top right hand area of this page) and type in bruce johnson handbags. He was nice enough to publish a gigantic pattern book on bags. I am in the process of finishing my first "Bruce Bag" soon. He has some real winners in the book.

Since I challenged in many ways, one to include IT and the other is artisically, I am of not help here or your other thread sorry. I am sure that someone will respond for you soon. Check out Bruce's handbag PDF book.

Good luck

Welcome to the Forum. Do a search (top right hand area of this page) and type in bruce johnson handbags. He was nice enough to publish a gigantic pattern book on bags. I am in the process of finishing my first "Bruce Bag" soon. He has some real winners in the book.

Since I challenged in many ways, one to include IT and the other is artisically, I am of not help here or your other thread sorry. I am sure that someone will respond for you soon. Check out Bruce's handbag PDF book.

Good luck

Hi ATX...I will def. search for the pattern book. Thanks again...=)

Hi and welcome to the board Shavonne!!!

Seem like you have just the spirit to get going. Leather can humbling to work with but nevermind that and just enjoy a really lovely material to work with.

Depending on what you want to do with your purses/bags you may need some tools expecially if you want to make relief style patterns to them so be prepared for investing a little bit in the beginning.

There are plenty of helpful people here and some that are very much in the know how so don't be shy about picking peoples brains here. We are all here to learn more and what a great place this is for that!

Good luck with your purses!!!

Tom