Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

Here's a couple of small cartridge Bags that I just finished today. They are made from my usual veg tanned, 3-3.5mm (8-9oz) 'saddle shoulder' (cow hide) and are lined in brown pig-skin suede. The piping (welting?) is 1mm cow-hide with a 2mm PVC core.

Steve

cart._bags.jpg cart.bags_rear.jpg cart.bags_open.jpg

post-7482-1240006175_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1240006204_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1240006230_thumb.jpg

Lovely work Steve,

Traditional yet contemporary at the same time.

Cheers,

Badger

The usual Brambley excellence! I like the hinge system on the flap . . . very neat. :thumbsup:

Terry

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments!

Steve

I do enjoy seeing your traditional English leatherwork, Steve, and this is yet another beautifully finished project. That Seiko edge binding machine does a lovely job - I can't wait to take delivery of mine. All I'll need then is the skill to use it properly... it could be a while!

Ray

Great Looking bags! Can someone tell me more about the seiko edge binding machines. I've been hand molding my edge binding pieces and havn't been able to get a folder attachment to work very well. Thanks !

I'm sure Steve will tell you more, Troy - I haven't got mine yet; But give me a week or two...

Many thanks Ray, However, I didn't actually use the Seiko machine for these bags, as the leather is far too heavy for it. I in fact used the 'Typical' TW3-441, which is essentially the same machine as the 'Artisan' Toro 4000. I didn't use any binding aid other than an edge guide and my fingers for these bags.

Thanks to you also Troy, the Seiko machine (Seiko LSC-8BV) is a lot lighter, though it can handle fairly heavy leathers, up to about 5 or 6oz. It is fitted with a 'Synchro Binder' device which keeps the folder close to the presser feet and the needle at all times, which makes applying leather edge binding to inside and outside curves very easy. Oh yes, I should point out that the folder must be the 'right angled' type, as the ordinary straight ones are not so good.

Here's a couple of photos (the folder is attached to the two vertical posts):

seiko_lsc_8bv.jpg seiko_cylinder_detail.jpg

This is the machine that I used to edge bind the bags:

typical_tw3_441.jpg

Steve

post-7482-1240102299_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1240102338_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1240102706_thumb.jpg

Edited by SteveBrambley

I'll have to try the edge guide on my machine. I'm a real newbie so my biggest issue is not enough seat time behind a machine. I've been trying to bind edges with 1.5-2 oz tooling leather and even that thin it seems that it is still stiff and not wanting to bend over on itself. If you get a chance could you post a pic of the right angle folder that goes on the machine. Again thanks for the input and sharing your work with us, this site has a lot of great folks on it.

Hi Troy,

Here are some pics of the 'right angled' type folder, that I mentioned. Normally, you would send a sample of the binding that you wish to use to the folder maker, along with the details of your machine, and they will make one up to the correct specifications.

I use a 1mm thick, leather binding tape, which we have cut specially for us. You can use a slightly thinner one, but don't try it too much thicker. Also, the leather must not be too soft if you are using a folder attachment, as it tends to get squeezed around and can come off either at the front or at the back.

For a beginner, or some one who does binding infrequently, the folder and a machine fitted with a 'Synchro-Binder' is invaluable. However, if you intend to do a lot, you will find it helpful to teach yourself hand binding, using just your fingers and a simple edge guide. This may take a bit of practice, but you will find it well worth it in the long run, as I find that often, if you are binding a softer leather, the folder will tend to distort the work by holding the tape too tightly. This does not seem to be a problem with heavier, harder leathers.

I hope this helps.

Steve

folder_1.jpg folder_2.jpg folder_3.jpg

post-7482-1240158645_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1240158669_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1240158686_thumb.jpg

Edited by SteveBrambley