Sign in to follow this  
jsroye96

looking for a pattern

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for a pattern for a ammunition holder that fits on the stock of a rifle. I am not sure what caliber yet. Has anyone seen something like this? Any help would be most appreciated. I'm new to the leather working thing but I love this stuff. Thanks again everyone.

John.

No one knows of any patterns for this?

Is this the sort of thing you're talking about?

15059.jpg

Because then all you need is a square of leather and a strap long enough to accommodate your cartridges, but you won't know that measurement till you know the caliber.

All in all, I'd say that experimentation with cardboard is in order.

al stohlman book of cases has what ur looking for

Is this the sort of thing you're talking about?

15059.jpg

Because then all you need is a square of leather and a strap long enough to accommodate your cartridges, but you won't know that measurement till you know the caliber.

All in all, I'd say that experimentation with cardboard is in order.

Yeah, That's what i had in mind. Oh Boy, I really get to do some custom stuff now. LOL.

This is going to be interesting.

Thanks.

for shotguns.....you can ge a molded piece piece of plastic that bolts on the reciever as well....that would be neat to put a tooled leather strap over for decoration.

as far as these neoprene thingsgo over the stalk I have one on my gun and love it except its to flexible....so i considered making one from leather and then molding it to the stock......the touble I have is sewing as i have not yet tackled that beast.....also i dontlike the idea of being forced to use flex starp for the shells......the shells will always fall on the ground when you are manovering through the woods.....so if you camn find away to snug a specific shell in a leather strap would be awesome i think......

Also....with stretchy straps....only the center of the shell casing is held down.....and I have experienced the projectile(bullet) end of the shell getting wet and causing discoloration and have concern of water getting inside the shell and bullet casing....I know most people would say impossible....but if on a 4 day hunt and its raing every day and i am bushwhacking in the mountains calling elk.....I want to ensure the bullet end is dry

My offered solution: ???

Well if you form a leather molding around the shells to a specific calibre and line it with a water resistant lining to help keep the bullet dry.......spacing them so it can be sewn or riveted (small tiny rivets) on to the main part of the stock wrap.....and make it so only the primer end sticks out about a half inch......then also put a strap that is snapped to the side of the cartridge molding that goes over the primer end of every shell....and maybe line that......making it so that cap can be used in rain or snow and taking off the rest of the time....

Points is dry ammo and a case that wont drop ammo when trudging through rough and thick brushed terrain especially willow thickets and such.....

Does this make sense?

for shotguns.....you can ge a molded piece piece of plastic that bolts on the reciever as well....that would be neat to put a tooled leather strap over for decoration.

as far as these neoprene thingsgo over the stalk I have one on my gun and love it except its to flexible....so i considered making one from leather and then molding it to the stock......the touble I have is sewing as i have not yet tackled that beast.....also i dontlike the idea of being forced to use flex starp for the shells......the shells will always fall on the ground when you are manovering through the woods.....so if you camn find away to snug a specific shell in a leather strap would be awesome i think......

Also....with stretchy straps....only the center of the shell casing is held down.....and I have experienced the projectile(bullet) end of the shell getting wet and causing discoloration and have concern of water getting inside the shell and bullet casing....I know most people would say impossible....but if on a 4 day hunt and its raing every day and i am bushwhacking in the mountains calling elk.....I want to ensure the bullet end is dry

My offered solution: ???

Well if you form a leather molding around the shells to a specific calibre and line it with a water resistant lining to help keep the bullet dry.......spacing them so it can be sewn or riveted (small tiny rivets) on to the main part of the stock wrap.....and make it so only the primer end sticks out about a half inch......then also put a strap that is snapped to the side of the cartridge molding that goes over the primer end of every shell....and maybe line that......making it so that cap can be used in rain or snow and taking off the rest of the time....

Points is dry ammo and a case that wont drop ammo when trudging through rough and thick brushed terrain especially willow thickets and such.....

Does this make sense?

Yeah, that makes alot of sense, Thanks for the input. It's something I am going to have to think about. Thanks again.