MADMAX22

curved windsheild bag

OK so I have a buddy that Im making a windsheild bag for. Its a road king.

He made a aluminum bracket for me that follows the contour of the inside of the windsheild so that we can bolt it straight to the three windsheild mounting bolts.

Now the hardpart. How do you construct a bag that follows that contour. I wanted to go with the classic look of a standard tool bag but not sure if its gonna work. I played around with some construction paper but couldnt seem to come up with anything that worked.

Thanks for any help.

I've never made a "toolbag" for the inside of the windshield before. They are too big for that position. The inside bags are usually several 2/3 separate bags for utility items, wallets, etc.

You will be able to make a 10-14" contoured bag to fit that bar, but damned if I know how you'll bend the tools to match the curve...lol

I've never made a "toolbag" for the inside of the windshield before. They are too big for that position. The inside bags are usually several 2/3 separate bags for utility items, wallets, etc.

You will be able to make a 10-14" contoured bag to fit that bar, but damned if I know how you'll bend the tools to match the curve...lol

Guess I should have used a different term lol. Ive scene the ones you are talking about and in the end may go that route, however I remember seeing the same toolbag design that is used on the front forks for the windsheild bag. The thing thats getting me is how to cut the body of the bag.

EDIT: http://www.bikeremporium.com/Products-Windshield_Bags.html OK I see the longer ones and I guess the multi bag setup is what was used to wrap around the inside of the window. It looks like most sites that I see make the bags short enough so that you dont have to worry about the curvature as much. May end up having to do that.

Edited by MADMAX22

It looks like most sites that I see make the bags short enough so that you dont have to worry about the curvature as much. May end up having to do that.

I'm just finishing up a windshield bag for my brother's Police Road King. He had the two itty bitty ouch thing that followed the windshied - not real useful. I tried for quite a while to figure out how to build one that followed the curve of the windscreen and decided that beaing as I was gonna end up with a crease line in the top of the flap no matter what I did with a curved one, that I would make a better sized straight one instead. Now the issue you run into is how do I mount the thing? Got my bro to do up a drawing showing all of the measurements for his road king - spacing of windscreen bolts, placement and dimensions of tach etc etc. From that I came up with a bracket that looks like a T with a reeeeally fat base on it. Now turn the T upside down and (depending on how much room you have to lower the bag) fold the base back upwards. I put a piece on the back of the bag so that the bag gets slipped down over the tab that's now pointing upward (man this is hard to explain - get into my head with me ,,, I can see it perfectly ;0)

Take a look at my page here http://mcbearcat.shawwebspace.ca/pages/ and about 2/3 down the page you'll see a pic of a partially finished bag alongside the double bag it's replacing. The two shots above that one show the attachment panel on the back as well.

When all is said and done, his windscreen bag will not follow the curve of the screen (will mount on bolts either side of center bolt) but will be lower in his field of vision and fill in the gap above the tach quite nicely. It's 11 1/2" x 3" x 4" tall.

Hope this helps

Rob

Thanks for the info Rob. Trying to envision it and I think I have a good idea.

I know what you mean by those little clamp type things, saw those and wasnt sure I wanted one bolt holding the bag on there. Im running into the same barrier where you did with how to make it follow the contour and it may make sense to not do that lol.

Thinking Ill have to take another look at his bike and see what I come up with.

Actually I just re-read my post The "T" doesn't get flipped upside down - just the base gets bent upwards so that the cross of the T reaches the windscreen bolts either side of center.

Good luck with it - I'll try to remember to post up pics when my brother gets it mounted