Sign in to follow this  
rybord

First Two Holsters

Hello Eveyone, I wanted to post the two holsters I've done and would appreciate any positive or negative input. The first one is for a Kahr CW9 and was made with some 10 oz leather I had and wanted to try my hand at leatherwork.

The second is for a HK P2000 and done with 7 to 8 oz leather and dyed British Tan and then hand stitched with natural linen.

Thanks for looking and I appreciate you observations, Ray

DSC00284.JPG DSC00287.JPG

DSC00283.JPG DSC00289.JPG

post-6961-1241990695_thumb.jpg

post-6961-1241990909_thumb.jpg

post-6961-1241991089_thumb.jpg

post-6961-1241991216_thumb.jpg

Ray,

Nice work on your 2 holsters. They both show a good functional design. I think you probably discovered 10 oz. is a little over kill for a concealed holster. I noticed your boning is alot for pronounced on the 2nd holster due to the lighter leather. On your next holster, you may want to more closely follow the counter of the weapon with your stitch line. Believe me, I'm still practicing that skill myself. I really like your British tan dye job on the 2nd holster. I've yet been able to get a nice even coat with British tan. What brand dye did you use, and how did you apply it?

Randy

Good stuff. I second Randy's thoughts on the weight. But it's good you work with several weights so you can see and understand how the patterns act when using different leathers.

I'm going to knit pick your belt slots. They look good, but poke is at their height. You want to keep the slots as snug on the belt as possible and prevent a gap. This keeps the holster from sliding up when you draw the gun.

All in all, good work!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your looking and advice. I guess I was worried about it being too tight for the gun so I added a little extra as well as needing to do a better trace of it next time.

Randy, I had tried using daubers on the first holster which is Russett and to get an even color I had to keep coating until it was the same color as the liquid dye but that's not what I wanted so on the tan I bought a baking pan and dipped it in Fiebings Leather Dye that I diluted to a 50/50 mix. I dipped it for a few seconds flipped it and removed it and then dipped again after a couple minutes.

Shorts, The belt loops are loose and maybe too wide as well and I need to stay much closer to the measurements.

Thanks much, as the goal is to learn and improve the results, I do appreciate your taking the time.

Ray