troy

fid work

Spanish Hitching is what you see there in that photo that quickly passes by. Thing about that kind of hitching is that you can almost the unlimited patterns and colors with it. You can even when half way on your handle switch to the fid work layout, insert a name and then switch back to the Spanish Hitching again. There are just about limitless possible workings from that type of work. Takes a while but with some desire to see it to the end, you can accomplish it.

Brian...

Thanks Brian! I'll do a search on that term and see if I can get more examples of it. It's a very cool technique.

I pulled that info from Bruce Grants book Rawhide and Leather Braiding. He gives a few sample techniques in there of the Spanish hitching, just with fewer strands. But the core structure of the hitching technique is in there and with some brave ambitiousness and a big heart for success, your desire will take you to the end of the project.

Ahhh, Spanish Hitching. I can feel the blisters now!!!

A thousand years ago - or more like 50, I was "tasked" with putting Spanish Hitch fenders on the stanchions in the mess hall of a ship I was stationed on. I vividly remember doing 8 of them. The diameter of the stanchion was 8", I believe, and the length of the fender was 3'. Then came the 4 coats of shellac and 2 coats of paint (battleship grey, of course)

Two weeks later, I was transferred.

Armando is now a member of the Traditional Cowboy Arts Association along with fellow Argentine Pablo Lozano featured in the July issue of Western Horseman magazine. They will both be at the TCAA event in Sept in OKC. if you would like to meet them. They are probably THE BEST braiders in Argentina now and have both spent years seeking out the best of Los Viejos (The Old Ones) to learn from. They know just about everything there is to know about braiding and are genuinely nice and open people. They have helped me out and are really the ones responsible for bringing the Argentine influence that Grant mentions in his books to a reality in American Rawhide Braiding techniques.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Hi Horse hair

I think I have the right one now - it is either the over or under hand stitch, hard to tell with the size of lace he is using but generally the under hand produces a rough finish and the over a smooth finish.

DSCF5325.JPG

post-182-1247044136_thumb.jpg

Yes Troy - that's it, the technique in the two left-hand photos. That is how horsehair hitching is done as well. I've never tried it, but it might be fun! Thanks for looking it up.