awharness

Union Lock V. Landis 16

Just a questions for the sewing machine guru's on here. Ive got a chance to buy either a union lock or a landis 16. I do harness work, and I really want a needle and awl machine! What machine would be better? I know the landis is a lot slower but is the stitch quality as nice? is it less work to time? is it an easier machine to use?

help? Thanks again guys!

-Andrew

Andrew, the answer is easy from my perspective. I've never used a Union Lock, some people love them when they're sewing good. Some people hate them and don't get along with them at all. I suppose you could say that about anything including a 16. I have two Landis 16 and love em. I use them for making saddles and tack, they sew tight.

Besides there's a fella who has been rebuilding the landis 16's. He advertizes in the shop talk and or leather crafter journal. His name is Eli ....? No sure his last name, very helpful and knowledgeable. He has parts. If I can help just PM me a message.

Bob

I think you should buy the Union Lockstitch and give me the number to call for the Landis 16

Matt

For those of you who wanted the information. I found it the Leather Crafter Journal.

Landis Sales & Service

115 East C.R. 500 North

Arthur, Illinois, 61911

phone 217-543-3464

fax 217-543-2515

Eli Schlabach

I have sold and sewed on both the problems with the union is you can sew on it one day and the next day you will work on it for the next day to get it to sew now the 16 is a much better machine I have one IM keeping for myself 10 to 1 I would have the 16 over the union lock

Is the quality of stitch compareable to the union? It just seems like all of the harness makers use the union, but if the landis is that mucher eaiser to use... Sewing machines... its a love/hate relationship isnt it?

I have sold and sewed on both the problems with the union is you can sew on it one day and the next day you will work on it for the next day to get it to sew now the 16 is a much better machine I have one IM keeping for myself 10 to 1 I would have the 16 over the union lock

It is all a matter of familiarity. In Pennsylvania, it seems most harnessmakers use the Union. Out West, they like the Campbell/Randall, then others like the 3/16, and then there are those who prefer the Pearson/No.9 type machines. Personally, I can look at a Union and it goes out, and the Campbell runs forever (I use linen). The No.9 just runs and runs....and runs, straightest stitcher I've had, and nobody I know would give-up a Pearson.

Art

Is the quality of stitch compareable to the union? It just seems like all of the harness makers use the union, but if the landis is that mucher eaiser to use... Sewing machines... its a love/hate relationship isnt it?

I would definately go with the Landis, Then again I am a little partial to them. I have been sewing on them since I was about 7 years old. We have three in our shop, would not trade them for anything.

Just a questions for the sewing machine guru's on here. Ive got a chance to buy either a union lock or a landis 16. I do harness work, and I really want a needle and awl machine! What machine would be better? I know the landis is a lot slower but is the stitch quality as nice? is it less work to time? is it an easier machine to use?

help? Thanks again guys!

-Andrew

well id look at the pros and cons of both,i love my landis machines but they are harder to find parts for,my landis 1 i have to fab my own parts,the union lockstitch is equally a great machine,ive used one,easy to opperate,sews great,if it were myself id get them both!its just money in the bank.