Sign in to follow this  
ps0303

Want to do a belt

I want to make a belt for myself. If I were to buy belt blanks from somewhere, what would I be looking for in terms of weight? Also, if I were to buy two blanks to make a thick gun belt, can I just glue them together, sew, and finish?

I see some folks use a liner on the inside. What is that usually made of and is it necessary?

Thanks for your time.

Most mens belt I`ve made are 9/10oz butt veg tan. For a lined gun belt I try to keep the combined leather weight to 12/13oz any heavier and physical weight and comfort start to become a problem.. couple of pic`s shotgun cartridge belt, this is 9oz front and 4oz lining and this is a heavy belt 100_0154_copy.jpg at 13oz leather weight100_0153_copy_edited_1.jpgOh! I only glue the edges about 1/2"

Hope this helps

Paul :smashcomp:

post-10587-1243726816.jpg

post-10587-1243726860_thumb.jpg

So I would get two belt blanks of say 6/7 each and then glue the two unfinished sides together. For the buckle end I would cut the inner piece short so the leather would be a single layer and wrap around the buckle per say and then it would attach to the point where it is the two pieces thick.

Does that sound about right??

You can do that no problem! Usually the front is about two thirds of the total leather weight ,because this is the piece that is carved and you need a bit of meat . Normally if not tooled people stick to this convention . Having said that there is no reason way you can`t use two 6/7 oz `s

By the sound of you question your more of a Newbie than me! so if you have not got,get these books please for some bed time reading from Tandy .

Belts Galore by AL Stolman

The Art of Hand Sewing Leather

Leather Craft Tools :How to Use Them , How to Sharpen Them

They will show what tools you need and designs patterns and finishes

I make up an Idiot List for all my projects detailing the important steps in order ,So you can avoid shouting YOU IDIOT!"££$%^&&&^^% :ranting2: because you forgot something simple or little but the hole project is buggered!!

TIP : When you have sewn the two 6/7`s together try to avoid bending the belt until metal work etc is fitted then wet in inside and form over large cardboard tude, saucepan works well ! this will reduce the wrinkles that will appear in some form or other

Glue use a good contact glue barge tanner bond light thin coats ,two or three times are better than one thick glob!

and let it dry !! When lining up to stick I place wax paper between the two pieces and pull away as I move along the belt sticking, then scrap leather between work and hammer, hammer the glue joints I now sand edges 80 grit and then use an edging tool back and front..now then hard work burnishing and finishing...

Regards

Paul

Check out the how to do`s section excellent tutorial "How I Make a Belt " is pinned there!!

Check out the how to do`s section excellent tutorial "How I Make a Belt " is pinned there!!

Will do. I think I know what I need to do now. I just need to get the supplies and get going on it.

Thanks!