Every once in a while, I will make a batch of holsters and one of them will turn out to have a wrinkled texture in comparison with the others. They are cut from the same piece of leather. They go through the same process. As far as I can tell, there is the same amount of moisture, heat, and pressure in the press applied to all of them - and one of them invariably will have an annoying texture to it! Does anyone else run into this issue?

I am considering running an extra inch of rubber in my press to see if that is a viable solution. I don't want to go back to hand pressing all of them because it takes so much longer and it will eventually give me arthritis. I just want the leather to look cleaner. I know it is fully functional, but I still want to make as clean of a holster as I am able.

So if you have any thoughts or suggestions, or if the same thing has happened to you, please let me know. This is driving me nuts!

texture1.jpg

texture2.jpg

texture3.jpg

The offending culprit:

texture4.jpg

Although it is the same hide what part of the hide is the wrinkled one coming from? Remember that different parts of the hide have different characteristics to it. As you move closer to the neck, belly and legs you will get more leather that will look like the culprit. That's why different saddle parts have to be cut from certain hide parts.

Art

No doubt about it, this does occur from time to time. I call these items "seconds", and sell them at prices reflecting the problem. When the piece is made for a specific customer, I simply make another piece for the customer and throw the first piece into the "seconds" box.

Buying top quality leather helps, but even then there will be the occasional piece that misbehaves during the process. Just part of the game, using an organic product subjected to multiple processes to make it usable for intended purposes; occasionally there will be a portion of the material that doesn't want to cooperate.

Nice looking workmanship, by the way.

Best regards.

Although it is the same hide what part of the hide is the wrinkled one coming from? Remember that different parts of the hide have different characteristics to it. As you move closer to the neck, belly and legs you will get more leather that will look like the culprit. That's why different saddle parts have to be cut from certain hide parts.

Art

I only use backs and shoulders. The pieces were adjacent to each other as I cut them out (in fact the traced patterns were practically touching each other they were so close.

Yep, I get that from time to time as well. I initially thought my press pads were the culprit, but it doesnt happen on every holster. Hmmm. I'd love to know myself.

-Adam

Other than the press pads, I can only imagine that the difference in moisture content or perhaps the drying temperature had some affect on the leather (but as far as I can control them, they are the same - time in water, time in the press, drying temp and time, etc.). The funny thing is, structurally speaking, the holster is fantastic. It's just the way it looks that bugs me.

I guess I'll keep running some experiments and let you guys know if I figure anything out. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter then by all means, jump in on the conversation!

This probably won't apply to your problem, since your process is consistent, but when I first set up my press system I had some holsters that turned out with a similar texture. I think I was over pressing the holsters because when I backed off on the pressure on later holsters they turned out better. I find the variability of leather sometimes frustrating. A couple of months ago I had problems with some of my IWB straps wrinkling after very little use, it did not seem to matter where they were cut from the hide or what they were treated with. I moved on to a different hide and haven't had any more trouble.

Other than the press pads, I can only imagine that the difference in moisture content or perhaps the drying temperature had some affect on the leather (but as far as I can control them, they are the same - time in water, time in the press, drying temp and time, etc.). The funny thing is, structurally speaking, the holster is fantastic. It's just the way it looks that bugs me.

I guess I'll keep running some experiments and let you guys know if I figure anything out. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter then by all means, jump in on the conversation!

I've had some holsters do the same and that was my guess as well. The only way I could describe is was like water "got under the skin" of the leather (which absolutely makes no sense but it's the way it looked).

Water damage?? :rofl:

Edit: I haven't taken note what part of the side produced those results

Edited by Shorts

I'm not using a press, so I'm just speculating.

My thought is perhaps the pads are developing a little memory to them. Or perhaps the pad doesn't fully return between compressions. That would give the leather a little room to scrunch as the pad pressed it, wouldn't it? I'm curious as to when the scrunched leather occurs. Is it at the beginning of a run, middle, or end; or does it occur if you press two or more in rapid succession? Maybe a cumulative effect on the pad?

I've noticed the wrinkles immediately after wetting for molding. As the water normally flashes off, this leather stays 'water-logged'.

Edited by Shorts

Twinoaks, I had not thought of that. I don't know if the rubber pads have developed a "memory", but I don't think so; I flipped them and rotated them before pressing those holsters. The wrinkling has been going on before that though, too. It was something I had not considered yet, though. The holster that wrinkled was also pressed about 45 minutes after the others, so I would think that the press had time to recover.

As to when the wrinkles occur, they typically show up right after the holster is pressed, but occasionally they surface while the holster is drying. I haven't had them wrinkle after merely wetting the holsters like Monica has, but if the textures looks the same it makes me wonder if it isn't a moisture situation. I appreciate your comments; I never would have thought of that.

I need to get some extra pads and see if that makes a difference, and I will pay closer attention to how much time in the water they take.

I like the textured look myself but thats just me.