Sign in to follow this  
Daggrim

Viking Scramasax

I thought I'd post a couple pictures of a recent project. I don't have the skills to do the tooled sheath, and a wooden handled, patterned blade, so I wanted a more primitive, handmade look, like something a Norseman could've made during a trading voyage, with the materials at hand. The leather is bison...call it Auroch hide. There's a welt inside the sheath...just a waxed linen cord glued in there. I left some edges natural. The handle is all leather, wrapped over a full tang. The blade is hand forged high carbon steel, not made by me. The horizontal carry was the standard method in Medieval ages Europe. It ended up looking kind've American Indian, but it's fun to give up needing to have complete control, and take chances.

Daggrim

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

post-5329-1244000995_thumb.jpg

post-5329-1244001014_thumb.jpg

I like it, I think more then anything its the color that makes it look native american, if it was a darker brown it may have a different style to it.

I like the horizontal carry. Re-enactors face loads of hassle from the authenticity police here in the UK - how do your products get on, Dagrim?

Authentic Police...I like it! How, when not authentic, will you work in Reenactment / Living History? History is a fact! All the other "Games" are fantasy, don´t get me wrong I´ve got nothing aganist fantasy. No, I like it really. But it is another Hobby.

About the Sheat: It looks very native, but why not. The blade of the Sax is nice too, but the Handle is not mine.

I really like the rough handmade look of this. Somehow it comes across as more authentic that way. I can definitely see what you mean about the native american look, but I have no trouble imagining a norseman carrying this either.

Well, Ray, I've never heard a word from anybody anywhere who had a problem. But I don't attend lots of living history events. I assume most people leave their long blades in the car when at gas stations and restaurants. I've wondered about the legality of carrying the blades in public, but even when I did, I never got a word. Nothing in any forum I've read. Seems like a non issue here. What kinds of hassles do you get in the UK?

'Course, it's a very different mindset regarding firearms, too. Second Amendment rights...hooyah!

Dag

I like the horizontal carry. Re-enactors face loads of hassle from the authenticity police here in the UK - how do your products get on, Dagrim?

oh, and as for selling blades, I've inquired many times about the legality and everybody just shrugs and there's never been a problem. Seems like there are lax restrictions on that. Anybody else have an answer to that?

Dag

A little confusion ensues here... I said 'authenticity police', Dagrim - in other words the often self-appointed idiots who insist on criticizing the 'standard of authenticity' of gear worn or used at re-enactment events.

I'm sure the UK police force does give those people who carry edged weapons in public hassle too, but in this instance I was asking about the re-enactment society's authenticity policy.

Ray

Oh, sorry. I've only been to one living history group event, and they were very friendly, but they just bypassed my seaxes without comment. For Renfaires, they're considered very accurate. I would like to learn to make wooden handles for these. Are there tutorials here? I ask without checking first.

Dag

A little confusion ensues here... I said 'authenticity police', Dagrim - in other words the often self-appointed idiots who insist on criticizing the 'standard of authenticity' of gear worn or used at re-enactment events.

I'm sure the UK police force does give those people who carry edged weapons in public hassle too, but in this instance I was asking about the re-enactment society's authenticity policy.

Ray

Ray, I´m a Moderator in a german Living-History-Forum since 2003 and I´m doing Living History since 1997. I really know what you are talking about. These "Police"-Guys nobody needs. But if we all not going to do our best in authenticy, we won´t have a really good scene we will have another phantasy scene... It´s always a dance on the edge of the blade.

But, in this Forum we should diskuss about Leatherwork, not the old "A"-Story.

Seaxy!! The horizontal cary across the waist is nice. Handy when you're sitting too.

There are tons of examples of bladesmithing and sheaths for seaxs and langseaxes on forums.dfoggknives.com in case you are interested.

Oh, sorry. I've only been to one living history group event, and they were very friendly, but they just bypassed my seaxes without comment. For Renfaires, they're considered very accurate. I would like to learn to make wooden handles for these. Are there tutorials here? I ask without checking first.

Dag

i havent seen one on this forum, but i have a friend that makes wooden handles and scabbards, pm me with yer email and ill see if he can make up a tutorial for you.

Mike

Thanks for the input folks.

Dag

Thanks Mike. I've found plenty of online stuff since the email i sent. No need for your friend to bother, but I appreciate the offer.

Dag

Hi Daggrim

realy like the knife, looks very authentic - how did you manage to get that colour in the steel, I normally just use birchwood caset perma blue but any other methods would be handy to know.

Ref's reinactment over here, I recently showed a scramy to a viking here and there was like you no refferance to it being illegal and such - the joy for me is in the making of such things any how.

Just looked on your site as well and your helmets look amazing, I have to do a full face half wolverine and 300 one soon which is trying my nerves, hope it comes out looking as good as yours do.

Paul

I have also just spent a good ten minutes on your website, Dag. Most impressive. I'd love to know how you cut and shape those helmet segments. They all look so perfect.

I have been trying to make a decent pair of turnshoes for quite a while and although I have had some small success I can't say that I have produced anything of saleable quality so far. Hence I was so pleased to see that you appear to have it all sorted! How about creating and sharing a turnshoe tutorial for those of us who only aspire to greatness?

Ray