Sign in to follow this  

I have been doing leather work, for a few years now, but NO tooling.

I've made some chinks, and pillows, done lots of repairs for my horse friends, and made lots of tack. I have relied on fancy stitching, applique, or hardware with bling to dress up most things.

Since I have been on this forum, I have been bitten by the tooling bug. Tons of reading, asking a few questions, and a few attempts at projects, have gotten me started.

(I already own a ton of tools and equipment, learning to use them is what lead me here, but that is another thread.)

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE INFORMATION ON HERE! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

1.)The first attempt was rather pathetic. I took a scrap of leather, and decided to make a cover for my head knief. It was soooo bad, I almost threw it out. Then I remembered reading (I think it was Bruce or Bob) keep your first works, to show yourself your improvement later on.

So I quickly soaked my leather,traced on my flower pattern, using plain tracing paper, (somehow managed that) carved my design, and got busy with the stamps.

Lessons learned-dont soak your leather too much, wait for it to dry to the right level, learned alot about casing.

_put pattern in ziplock bag next time.

2.)Second attempt, made another run at the knief cover. Decided to try something a bit less complex, and drew a leaf pattern. Read up a bit on how to tool leaves (thank you A.S.) used a ziplock this time for my pattern.

Leaves turned out presentable, can actually show people this one, not perfect, but a good learning experiance.

Lessons- Still need to slow down, take pride in even small jobs for self. Should have cut it out more carefully, put effort into making it even, not hurry to get to tooling stage.

-learned (on here) about velum paper, need to try some.

-Pay attention to the angle of the viener, see how one is backwards?

DSC01474.JPG

DSC01475.JPG

DSC01474.JPG

DSC01475.JPG

post-10187-1244306163_thumb.jpg

post-10187-1244306174_thumb.jpg

Edited by Janice

3.)So now I wanted to do some flowers again. I still used the ziplock, as I hadnt gotten to the stationary store yet. I traced some flowers from a magazine cover, and managed to get them onto the leather. Casing was better this time, but still need to develop more of a feel for it. Carved my design, and went to work. Turned out ok for my 3rd attempt, but the slimmer scroll type leaves are not pretty, flowers are not cut or beveled deep enough, but at least are sorta presentable. Used snow proof as a protective coating, to see what it would do. (everything is an experiment).

Lessons learned- Still gotta slow down a bit

-carve deeper

-bevel deeper

-finish differently

-need WAY more practice on those scroll type things!

DSC01476.JPG

DSC01476.JPG

post-10187-1244306793_thumb.jpg

You're off to a great start, Janice! I learn something new each time I make something, and you will as well. I believe the key to doing great work is more than just practice; it's observing and learning something along the way.

Great job! :-)

Bob

4.)Roses. I wanted to do a bronc halter hoseband, so I decided on some roses. The first one I made, the pattern was too long, and the noseband too narrow, so I made another, and my dad kept the unfinished one.

Lessons- Used velum paper THANK YOU WHOM EVER IT WAS THAT TURNED ME ON TO THIS PRODUCT! YOU ARE A SAINT!

-be MORE careful about pattern layout.

-look at piece when you think it is done. I didnt like the un-pear shaded petals on the rose, when I looked at it dried. I should have ignored the pic in the book, and pear shaded them anyway. :)

DSC01469.JPG

DSC01469.JPG

post-10187-1244307052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Janice

Thanks Bob

5.)Second noseband. You can see it carved in the pic above. I condensed the pattern to fit better, and paid more attention to its layout. I read about the order of tool use, and applied some of that theory here. This time I had bought some antique finish, and some tan coat. Tried them out on this item. Took my time better as well.

Lesson learned- Velum paper is fabulous stuff, I could use my same pattern again, even with the modifications! (time saver)

-I should just cut it a bit bigger, as it is a 2 layered piece. then trim edges, and my edges would be exactly the same, and edge work would be less. (not as happy with the edges, they are not perfect)

-antique really comes off with the tan kote, take it easier next time.

-starting to get a better feel for casing.

DSC01479.JPG

DSC01479.JPG

post-10187-1244307936_thumb.jpg

So, I have been hanging out here for 55 days now. Yesterday I finished my 6th work.

6.) I decided to try sheridan style here. It is far from perfect, but I am happy with the result. I will just keep on practicing. I need to practice my carving.

Learned alot from the antiquing process, STILL need to slow myself down.

Bought a halter and cut of the noseband, didnt feel like making on from scratch (Lazy)

I will just shut up now and post pics

(hey, like my cowboy fountain I saved from the dump?)

DSC01473.JPG

DSC01477.JPG

DSC01480.JPG

DSCO1476c.JPG

DSC01473.JPG

DSC01477.JPG

DSC01480.JPG

DSCO1476c.JPG

post-10187-1244308494_thumb.jpg

post-10187-1244308633_thumb.jpg

post-10187-1244308646_thumb.jpg

post-10187-1244308777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Janice

You are already improving...What I don't understand is how someone could throw Art like that on the dump!

Janice,

You are doing a very good job! I am impressed with your willingness to critque your own work and to make improvements! Tooling is not an easy skill to master, which you obviously recognize and I applaud your patience.

I know it's presumptuous of me, but I would like to make a couple of suggestions that I hope will help you speed up the learning process.

First....practice with your swivel knife...every scrap you have, should be covered with practice knife cuts! The other half of learning to use your swivel knife, is mastering how to sharpen and strop it. NO ONE can do a good job with a dull swivel knife, and cutting is the foundatiion for all good tooling. It is well worth the money to buy a sharpening jig if you don't have one, and I assume you already have a strop because you have been building leather projects for a while.

The second thing I want to tell you, is to copy somebodys work (hopefully an accomplished tooler!). Trace something they have done and try to reproduce it. This gives you a good opportunity to compare your work with the original, allowing you to see where to make improvements. Don't try to improve on their design quite yet....that is an issue of "style". Instead, try to create an exact duplicate of their work. As you become more proficient, then you can start dabbling with your own patterns. In the meantime, copying someone else will allow you to learn how to use your tools and you'll develope a taste for the type of tooling you like to do. Don't worry about copying....your own style will eventually emerge!

Keep up the good work!

Bob

rhall, thank you.

I love my cowboy, his days of being a fountain are long past, but he is a fine statue sitting on my raised brick deck in my yard. (He is actually signed and numbered even)

Hidepounder,

If this forum was a university, you would be one of the professors!

You are not being presumptuous at all. A person would be a fool not to take very seriously the advice you offer.

I do have more to ask/say, but since I just lost the reply that was to go here,(stupid comp) I have now run out of time.

I shall return!

Hidepounder,

When you mentioned the sharpening jig, do you mean the likes of the one tandy sells, that keeps your blade on the correct angle as you strop it, or someting entirely different?

I do have a strop, but am going to make a better one. I bought some white rouge, it is Samona brand, #5. Do I need any other colors?

For patterns, that last piece I did, the one on the shrub in the pic, it was traced off the fiebings book cover, fantastic finishes. I just had to bend it a bit to fit. The noseband was from the A Stohlman book how to carve leather, and was pieces of the ladies belt with the roses on it.

Again, I just made it to fit what I needed.

Is this what you mean? Or do you want me to find a real piece to copy, not a book? I have a few saddles I could try, my old Eamors are hand tooled.

Thanks for all your help!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Hidepounder,

When you mentioned the sharpening jig, do you mean the likes of the one tandy sells, that keeps your blade on the correct angle as you strop it, or someting entirely different?

I do have a strop, but am going to make a better one. I bought some white rouge, it is Samona brand, #5. Do I need any other colors?

For patterns, that last piece I did, the one on the shrub in the pic, it was traced off the fiebings book cover, fantastic finishes. I just had to bend it a bit to fit. The noseband was from the A Stohlman book how to carve leather, and was pieces of the ladies belt with the roses on it.

Again, I just made it to fit what I needed.

Is this what you mean? Or do you want me to find a real piece to copy, not a book? I have a few saddles I could try, my old Eamors are hand tooled.

Thanks for all your help!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Janice...yes I was referring to a jig like Tandy sells. Chuck Smith makes a really nice one also. For now a strop with white rouge is all you need. As for patterns, those sources are great! I just wanted to make the point that you want to copy an accomplished tooler rather than a novice.

Bob

Edited by hidepounder