Are holster liners needed and maybe in what situation, if so I need some opinions on a good liner for concealed holsters. I am using 6/7oz. H.O. from springfield leather co.

Are holster liners needed and maybe in what situation, if so I need some opinions on a good liner for concealed holsters. I am using 6/7oz. H.O. from springfield leather co.

Being needed depends on the customer.

I opt for no linings simply because linings=more surface area in contact with the firearm. Organic materials such as leather love moisture and this causes more rust. I think this topic is well argued and covered through out the forum.

It comes down to what the customer wants.

Going back just a few years, the majority of handguns were polished and blued. Most current production handguns feature stainless steel and/or more durable surface finishes (manganese phosphate and others).

Holster linings were very popular for protection of the handgun finish from holster wear. Both suede and smooth leathers were used by many makers for this purpose.

I offer linings because many customers will not consider an unlined holster. As Woolfe pointed out, all leather articles tend to collect and hold moisture (from the atmosphere, from the wearer's body, etc), and suede is probably the worst in that respect. Another point to consider is the tannage of the lining material; most are chrome tanned or similar processes, which results in chemical salts as residual material in the finished product. Some of those salts can be corrosive, particularly when moisture is present, and can cause damage to even the tougher finishes. I have seen stainless steel handguns with surface corrosion, apparently caused by extended contact with holster materials.

I try and stress to customers the importance of proper storage of handguns and holsters. Handguns should never be stored in a leather holster or case. The weapon should be removed following each use and wiped down with an oily cloth or silicone-treated cloth. Holsters should be stored in areas with good air flow, allowing any residual moisture to evaporate out. Holsters that have become saturated should be permitted to air-dry completely.

Lined holsters are about 25 to 30% of my orders, so I'm not going to stop making them. I try to stress proper storage and maintenance to my customers.

Adding a different view to this topic....it really depends on what type of lining you're talking about.

I agree with the above posts.

If we're talking about SASS/CAS holsters, it's another thing entirely. Anyone who's practicing or performing QuickDraw NEEDS to have a steel lined holster. AFAIK, they're actually required now.

It also depends on the shooter, the firearm involved, and their level of competence. Consider the differences between an old Sheriff who's been doing the job for countless years, and a 10 year old kid who's watched too many westerns.

Still new at this particular site so apologies if this is posted incorrectly. A fair amount of my work is for carved blackpowder holsters. I use heavy 5-6 mil natural bridle leather as it carves well and cases well. Unless requested otherwise, I always line the hogleg western styles as many of the guns are blued as per original, rather than stainless steel. Unlined holsters will soon rub that bluing off!. Favourite lining material is Veg tanned kangaroo...quite thin but strong & pliable...also takes colour well. DO NOT use chrome leather of any description for holster linings, it is full of salts that will bleed out in due course and do bad things to metal. Oil the lining to discourage moisture which is also unkind to blued or browned steel. If you are unable to find 'roo skins (is it a banned import over there?) , try thin Veg tanned deerhide. It's not as good, being less pliable and tears easily. I also line my shoulder rigs and concealed outfits as you can never be too kind to your gun.Will post photos of some of my holsters etc. when I can get a child to drive this thing for me.

Best Regards.

Papa Smurf

FWIW, I do things a bit differently. I bond a lighter piece of veg tanned (3/4 oz) to a heavier piece (6/7 oz), with their flesh sides together prior to cutting my actual pattern. That way I end up with holsters which have a smooth inside and outside. Basically lined. I do not do much (if any) tooling or carving anymore. When finished, I feel that my holsters are more firm and retain their firmness better than a single layer holster of equivalent weight ....ie. about 9 oz. Said another way, all of my holsters are lined with veg tanned leather. I do stress to my customers (a does Lobo) proper care of the leather AND the handgun. IMHO there is nothing you can do about honest holster wear. If you carry a handgun as a normal part of your profession or as a daily self protection piece, there WILL be wear. If your leather is to be there just to show off the fact that your are carrying, or as an accoutrement to a parade costume, well, I just make very few of those type. I may have made four or five in the last ten years, and at least three have been more an experiment than anything else. Only two were built for sale and both of those in the last two months ...and posted on this forum.......BUT, under it all, they are still solid working holsters. Enough from the grumpy old man. Mike

I do all my holsters the same as Mike above, with the exception being doing a requested period early Western holster.I also do inlays on about 99% of my holsters so lining is needed anyway.Dave

Lobo and Mike make some good points regarding lining. Chrome tan leather is bad for the reasons Lobo stated and if you must line a holster they way Mike suggests is the best possible way and adds rigidity to the finished rig at the expense of being very difficult to detail bone.

That said lining a holster to reduce blue wear is a fallacy. Lined or unlined you will eventually have holster wear. You can do things to retard it but not eliminate it.

Leather in and of itself is not capable of wearing gun steel. What causes holster wear is a combination of oil and primer residue imbeded in the leather and movement of the gun in the holster while the wearer is walking etc. That is why you commonly see holster wear on a revolver at the muzzle and edges of the cylinder and an auto pistol at the muzzle.

The only things we can do to moderate this is to not line with materials like suede that pick up and trap more of the oil/primer residue than other materials to this end smooth grain leather is best and to closely form the holster to limit movement of the gun during wearing.

That's just my observations and take on things. YMMV

If I have a customer that requests suede lining, I will either talk them into a different material or not do it. With al of the fibers in suede, it is the most apt to catch and hold material that can do more harm to your gun.

When I do line, I use either calfskin or 2-3 oz veg tan. The veg tan will give you a firmer holster in the end as Mike said since you have two grain sides working for you, the part that contains most of the structural rigidity. Calfskin does not offer much if any structural support, but it is soft and pliable, though not to the point that it will "grab" the gun.

I recently made a holster of 6/7 oz leather, lined with 2/3 oz leather. All veg tan. I liked the results.

I recently made a holster of 6/7 oz leather, lined with 2/3 oz leather. All veg tan. I liked the results.

This is what i have for the holster I'm about to start(my second one). Hope it works out as well.