Sign in to follow this  
slalik

Unintentional antique look

Hi all,

I need little help with this. I'm making a lap top brief case using veg tan. I pyrographed it, spirit dyed it, and painted it with acrylics. When I put the resoline on the main piece, it seems as though the brown leached through. I didn't get to paint the flap portion until a week later, and the dye is no longer leaching through. So any suggestions as how to make the flap look antiqued like the main body? I also have a problem with this yellowing effect on white dyes and paints, any way to avoid it? I would love any suggestions!

Thanks! :)

Sara

golf_001.JPG

post-9540-1245681041_thumb.jpg

I've had the same problem. For me, the solution was a different finish. I use Aussie Wax now. I know it's not a "sealant", but it works for me. If I need it "more" sealed, I use a spray urethane.

I've had the same problem. For me, the solution was a different finish. I use Aussie Wax now. I know it's not a "sealant", but it works for me. If I need it "more" sealed, I use a spray urethane.

Thanks for replying Holly!

The Aussie wax is o.k. to use over acrylics? That would be great! I would much rather use a wax or balm of sorts than resoline if they won't harm the paint. Does the urethane crack at all? Sorry, I'm still a newbie and have so much to learn!

-Sara

Question how long did you let the brown dye dry?

And did you buff it when dry?

Those are you bigest issues, I like super sheen neat lac tan kote and bag kote

Josh

Question how long did you let the brown dye dry?

And did you buff it when dry?

Those are you bigest issues, I like super sheen neat lac tan kote and bag kote

Josh

HI Josh,

I let it dry for a couple of days before I started to paint the first part, but i only did a quick buff. Hmmm...I've never tried neat lac, tan kote or bag kote, but I have tried the super sheen and wasn't fond of it. Are the others flexible?

Sara

Well sounds like it was dry not sure why this has happened but I will say this that all the finishes add a little hint of color bag kote, tan Kote, neat lac are all flexable super sheen is the best for not changing the color neat lac is hard to find and so on.

I would PM Kevin with Springfield leather he is a member here and ask him he carries some other finishes there is somthing called snow seal any way he will have answers for you.

I must say that I have nevere had this issue and I use a lot of acrylic paints good luck

Josh

HI Josh,

I let it dry for a couple of days before I started to paint the first part, but i only did a quick buff. Hmmm...I've never tried neat lac, tan kote or bag kote, but I have tried the super sheen and wasn't fond of it. Are the others flexible?

Sara

Thanks for replying Holly!

The Aussie wax is o.k. to use over acrylics? That would be great! I would much rather use a wax or balm of sorts than resoline if they won't harm the paint. Does the urethane crack at all? Sorry, I'm still a newbie and have so much to learn!

-Sara

I'm a BIG fan of Aussie Wax, to be honest with you. I use it over acrylics, and the only time I've had trouble was over Aleen's gold, where the wax rubbed it off partially. So I just touched it up after.

As to the Krylon sealant (I said urethane by accident), I've not had a problem with it cracking, but I don't think I'd try it on something like a checkbook cover, for example, that has a very thin spine. I did use it on my father's motorcyle saddle bags and it helped.

Holly and Josh,

Thanks so much for all the advice, i've got some experimenting to do!

:) Sara

I don't remember who first steered me to Krylon on leather, but it works pretty well...the colors as well as the clear coats.