Sign in to follow this  
ericluther

Maul Question

My dads a machinist and has access to the poly material maul heads are made of and was going to try and make me one.

Could any possibly give me measurements of one by any chance. He was asking about the taper and it looked like about 1/2" to me but I wasnt sure.

Also the overall length and handle length would be very helpful

Thank you!

Eric

Hi Eric,

My maul is 2 1/2" dia. tapering to 2", overall length is 8 5/8" including the weight washer on top and acorn nut on bottom, the handle is 6"...Hope this is of some help....Tom...

Eric, do you think theres a chance your Dad may wanna make some of these to sell?

Rick

Hello Eric,

I work with taper head mauls from Barry King they are great......on his webpage are some samples

greetings

Johann

Hello Eric,

I work with taper head mauls from Barry King they are great......on his webpage are some samples

greetings

Johann

How do you decide what weight of maul you need? I would like to purchase a maul but can probably only afford one at this time. What would be the best weight to get?

to be honest I'm new to tooling and don't know much, I know the lighter weighted ones are used for smaller detail work and the super heavy for punching holes or setting rivets etc, but I'm sure someone can clarify much better.

Eric

Eric, the specs i sent you was from my Barry King maul, i got the 24oz...... One and a half lbs. works well for me, i can hit it hard enough without getting tired on bigger projects..Tom

Ahh thank you tomcat! he made me 3 heads today 2 2.5 and 3 now I have to make some handles lol