This is the saddle I took to Kamloops. The customer didn't want leaves. I don't recomend it.

Ryan Cope

DSC_5080.jpg

DSC_5058.jpg

DSC_5034.jpg

DSC_5081.jpg

post-5183-1205785351_thumb.jpg

post-5183-1205785381_thumb.jpg

post-5183-1205785411_thumb.jpg

post-5183-1205785495_thumb.jpg

The more I study the photos, the more I like it! I love the deviation from the norm. The heartshaped horn, the stingray inlaid seat, the shape you used for the inlay, the lack of leaves in the tooling, the flowers you used in your tooling etc. It's very inspirational - especially the stingray seat. I have been wanting to build a wade for some time and hope to start one this summer. Do you handstitch or machine stitch your inlaid seats? Is stingray as hard to stitch as everyone says it is?

Thanks for the pictures

Ryan

This is the saddle I took to Kamloops. The customer didn't want leaves. I don't recomend it.

Ryan Cope

Ryan,

Usual neat job. Folks, just to show how humble Ryan is. We were talking on the phone Friday for a while. Chatting about we had been up to, recent local events. He mentioned he had been to the show at Kamloops, and said Chuck Stormes was the judge, it was humbling to have him look at your work, etc. What Ryan failed to mention was that he WON the contest. I have to read it here. Congratulations.

Ryan, thats a nice saddle. I went to look at the saddles in that show. You did a nice job. Sorry I didn't get to meet you. I didn't put a saddle in the show because I didn't have one completed at the time. It's been very busy around here. Congratulations on winning the show. I heard it was a very nice buckle too.

Pretty decent looking rig Ryan. I miss living close to Chuck at times as it was awful nice to stop by his shop and see what he was working on whenever one needed a humility lesson, the mans work speaks for itself, no words were needed. Greg

Ryan,

CONGRATULATIONS! It is certainly a unique look. Also love the stingray seat. Humility is a great and wonderful trait to have and/or aspire to. Your work certainly speaks for itself. Once again - congratulations on the win.

Regards,

Ben

Ryan Cope, Very nice saddle! Congratulations on winning the show. Your saddle has great overall appeal and a very professional apearance! I hope to meet you some day. My compliments. Keith Seidel

Very Very nice saddle the workmanship is amazing, congrats on winning the show, Don

Howdy Ryan;

Nice looking rig, thanks for posting the photos. I really like how your carving jumps in and out and around the borders, I have seen this on other photos of your work, you execute this very well. I may have to give it a try some day. Having Chuck go through your saddle would defiantly make the trip worth while, I'm sure you got a ton of good info from him that will better your saddle making abilities, any time someone can get some tips from a master like him is great opportunity.

Once again Congratulations.

Steve

Ryan,

Very nice saddle, congrats on the win. One of these days I want to come out to California and travel. Maybe Ill meet you some day, along with all the other california makers I know of. I have been told to come out the Santa Margarita ranch roping do you ever go out to that?

Ashley

It really looks great, congratulations on your win. I sure like how the flowers come out over the border, it really gives it a nice look. Plus just about everything else about it as well.

Ryan,

I made the holes by hand, and sewed seat on my machine. And, at this point, I'd say you need to get a few under your belt before you begin to figure out how to do an inlaid stingray seat. Keep in mind that nobody has ever shown me how to do an inlaid seat in general. This is my second stingray. The first was last month to practice for this one. I had another guy ask if I'd sewn it by hand. He looked at me as if I was either crazy or ignorant when I said that I did it on my machine. Probably the latter. My interaction with other saddlemakers, before I joined this site last Thanksgiving, was almost zero. Also, I would suggest using a thinner pan than normal, and replacing that with a peice of 3 oz. strap. There is probably a few more experienced guys on this site that could help me out with that.

Ryan Cope

sewing the Stingray, did you use a dremel to knock the tops off of the bumps along the stitch line? I have always heard that was what to do so you will not break a machine needle on them.

Ryan I have done 20 or more inlaid seats with stingray and I know Steve Mason has done several as well ( we both did our first ones close to the same time some 12 or 15 years ago). You do not have to pre punch the holes or grind the top of the knobs off due to the fact your needle is going through the skirting before it ever hits the ray so the skirting is already supporting your needle as it goes through the ray. Just glue your inlay in using whatever method you have developed and sew it. If people want to think your loco let them, what the heck we can always blame the glue. Greg

Greg, I agree with you. It just doesn't make any sense to think that sewing with a large needle machine for sewing skirts that it would deflect over a stingray bump. I've not done any inlays with it. However, I can imagine that a person may have troubles with top stitching on a light duty table top. I have a pair of boots in this stuff, it's the most uncomfortable boots I've ever had. NO STRETCH AT ALL. It's brutal on my feet. I just plain don't use em.

I sew stingray inlays on spur straps with my flatbed with no deflection either. Biggest issue I had heard from a couple motorcycle seat makers was that stingray was abrasive on jeans. I think it was before the crash that Greg said he hadn't seen problems with it. Others have since said the same. Biggest problem I have had is that sometimes the cut edge will be sharp - paper cut type injuries. A quick pass of the Dremel will smooth that up.

On another note, what is everybody using to cut it with? I have been using the "super scissors" that we used to cut pennies with. I found the $4 ones last about 3 times as long as the center aisle ones at Harbor Freight.