fred

stolman stamping bench

hey all , I was wondering if anybody has a photo copy of the stolman stamping bench. and work bench from the sept.-oct. 01 leather crafters& saddlers journal. I need to make a stamping bench. And was looking for some more ideas to go along with the others that I have seen on this site.

More pics of his benches here . The workbenches are now at Kings Saddlery in Sheridan WY.

One of the most improtant things for a stamping bench is to minimize the bounce or give. It's not always practical to do all your hammering over a leg. If I were going to build one new, It would probably have extra legs, a large open shelf underneath for storage and I would recess the tooling marble. Do a search on the board for work shops and you will see pics of shops and benches. It might give you some additional ideas to suit the space you are working from.

Johanna

More pics of his benches here . The workbenches are now at Kings Saddlery in Sheridan WY.

One of the most improtant things for a stamping bench is to minimize the bounce or give. It's not always practical to do all your hammering over a leg. If I were going to build one new, It would probably have extra legs, a large open shelf underneath for storage and I would recess the tooling marble. Do a search on the board for work shops and you will see pics of shops and benches. It might give you some additional ideas to suit the space you are working from.

Johanna

johanna thanks for the advise Ill keep that in mind before I start to build.

Edited by fred

In the March 1984 Make it With Leather magazine there was a story on the Stohlman Benches. There was even 2 layouts with dimensions on how to build them. Fred, PM me with your email address, I have something to send you. My best, Dennis.

Stohlman_Workbenches_1.JPG

Stohlman_Workbenche.JPG

post-10736-1248572968_thumb.jpg

post-10736-1248572981_thumb.jpg