Sign in to follow this  
troy

before I mess it up, just gotta ask.....

am working on some chest/back armour for my son and took the pattern from some one slightly bigger then him. Every thing has gone OK so far except that as shown below the back pieces are not lining up as they should - I was thinking of just shortening the back pieces where they are braided to the front but wonder first if any one would know if this would solve the problem or make it worse?

DSCF5776.JPG

The photo above shows the basic construction of six pieces of leather joined together by chicargo screws.

DSCF5792.JPG DSCF5793.JPG

DSCF5794.JPG DSCF5795.JPG

Above is shown the armour loosly braided together - as can be seen the front is OK in alinement but the back is out where the lower strips of leather are slightly longer and bulge out - looks OK when my son has it on but that was after some tidying it up but become misalined again after he moved about. So again, if I shorten the strips of leather that bulge will it sove the problem or make it worse. Any help or advice will be great plus questions if how I have explained it is not clear enough.

Paul

post-182-1249155965_thumb.jpg

post-182-1249156000_thumb.jpg

post-182-1249156021_thumb.jpg

post-182-1249156044_thumb.jpg

post-182-1249156065_thumb.jpg

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question Paul. But I gotta commend you on what looks to be a VERY cool piece once finished. Nice work so far... Love to see the finished product when you're done with it.

Maybe the easiest fix would be to put some straps inside the back segments, and rivet or chicago screw them into the position you want.

Daggrim

Maybe the easiest fix would be to put some straps inside the back segments, and rivet or chicago screw them into the position you want.

Daggrim

Thanks daggrim - I ended up fitting in some more chicago screw to keep the strips in place. Below is the patterns I am going to carve into the front and back plus the matching hemet - will post again once they are dyed etc;

the carving turned out fairly evenly spaced and each plate matched up amazingly enough - I first wanted the helmet to match a persons face outline but the thickness of leather prevented this, then thought I'd follow a pattern from the film 300. In the end I seemed to have ended up with something resembling a helmet fro the 'prince of caspia' - atleast thats what my son thinks!!!

DSCF5810.JPG DSCF5812.JPG DSCF5858.JPG

DSCF5859.JPG

post-182-1249423752_thumb.jpg

post-182-1249423766_thumb.jpg

post-182-1249423788_thumb.jpg

post-182-1249423804_thumb.jpg