Sign in to follow this  
dbusarow

Artisan 797 AB NS

A member of my church just learned that I am working with leather and told me she has one of these machines. Her husband, who passed away a couple of years ago, used it to make leather clothing. I didn't know him and have no idea what type of clothing, weight of leather etc.

Even if I had a machine I think I'd continue hand stitching my holsters and the occaisonal sheath.

But, a machine sure would be nice for strap goods. Belts, headstalls, reins. Those things where there's more than a couple of linear feet of stitching involved.

My question is, is the 797 too light duty for 2 layers of 8oz veg tan for a belt? 4 oz liner on 14 oz harness leather? 3 layers of 8oz latigo?

The max thread size of 138 has me concerned.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, the machine is too light for what you want, especially if you want to use a 207 or 277 thread. It will sew lighter things with ease though. I wouldn't sew anything heavier than 14 to 16 oz. Yes it might sew a little heavier, but for how long, it's like going over speed bumps at 40 mph. It will work, but for how long. Thanks, Steve

Dan,

I am using a 797AB that I bought to sew chaps and organizer linings, etc. on. I sew belts on it with 92 or 138 thread and I feel that is the limit the machine should be used for. Some headstalls are too thick where the leather is doubled and lapped to sew on that machine. Like Steve said, 14 -16 oz max. It will sew heavier thread too, but that's not what it is designed for.

Bob

I would not use the machine for anything much heavier than a couple of pieces of 8 ounce, and I would not use anything larger than a size 138 thread with the machine. The 797 is a good choice for lightweight leather items such as chaps and so forth. Any heavier leather items such as horse tack and so forth should be reserved for heavier machines.

Thank you all for your comments. I'll follow your advice and pass on this.

I do have a followup question though :) Does anyone here do chaps with 138 thread? I don't have a spool of 138 to look at but I do have a 69 and even 2 strands of that twisted don't seem thick enough to look right on chaps. Maybe I just like the look of stitching.

Dan

I use 138 on pretty much everything but saddles. I can do a shorter, finer stitch than you can with the bigger fatter threads.

Heath

Guess I need to buy a spool and see how it works out.

Dan

Hi Dan, most chap makers use 138 bonded nylon on top and in the bobbin and some even use 207 on top, but do not use anything larger than a 138 in the bobbin. It all depends on the customer. Thanks, Steve

I have always used a size 92 thread for the decorative inlays on chap work. I use a heavier thread (like 207-277) for the yoke and belt portions of the chaps.