Temporary

2nd try at a pocket holster

Well, after my first attempt, while functional, wasn't thin enough for my liking, I decided to try out some thoughts that I have been keeping in the back of my head. Not to mention that I wanted to try out some of the things that I have learned about leather working.

So with much ado about nothing:

CIMG1669.jpg

Yep, the whole issue with my first attempt was that the width of the cylinder plus three layers of leather was just two thick for a pocket holster. I decided to remove the leather covering the cylinder to minimize it's bulk.

CIMG1670.jpg

The holster's retention is pretty surprising. The holster part was glued with some superglue, grooved and hand stitched with a stitching awl. Then heat treated to harden. It is held to the back plate with a short Chicago screw.

CIMG1671.jpg

CIMG1672.jpg

CIMG1673.jpg

The coloration in the above photos is due to the dampness of the leather. I just finished edging and assembling it 5 minutes before taking that photo.

So how thin is it? Well, pretty thin. About as thin as you can get with a back plate to stop the gun from printing in a pocket.

CIMG1674.jpg

It was a learning experience to be sure. This is the first time, save for a few test scraps, that I sewed leather. Still not sure how to properly hide the knot. I dabbed it with superglue after tying it, then stuck it back into the last awl hole and then added just a tad more glue to hold it in place. I also had issues with the thread unraveling and holding knots.

Using a pattern help immensely, but the finished leather doesn't really resemble the original pattern any. I had to keep adapting the leather to fit. The next one will be easier though, now I know what to expect.

Gluing the holster together and then sanding the edges even was a life saver, even though I still didn't get the grooving on the back side even with the front. Thankfully, the texture of the back side of the leather and the holster design hide it well. In the future, groove one side, punch, then grove other.

Edging is still a mystery to me. Polished edges don't really go well with a suede like texture in my opinion, so I mostly just rounded the edges the best I could and called it a day.

All in all, I impressed myself with it. Not really sure how the heat hardened leather will hold up to use, but for now, it works great. Now if I can only get the concept to finished holster time down under three weeks I might have a productive hobby ;)

Ok, I'll go out on a limb here and give my opinion. First off, it looks great for the design and you obviously put alot of work into the holster and it looks great. However, when you try and draw the weapon from your pocket I"m 99.9% + another 99.9% sure the hammer is going to grab your pocket and the weapon will be unholsterable. Even if the hammer didn't hook on the pocket your still looking at alot of debris that's going to be in the cylinder/frame/trigger area. I do have to admit I am impressed with your work, I think if you make a few small changes you'll have a very nice holster. Once again, this is only my opinion.

Looks efficient. I'm surprised you get good retention. Glad to see that it works. Certainly a novel approach.

mliebs8 has a good point about the hammer. I used to carry a 2 incher but I got the shrouded hammer frame. That hammer

spur will catch on everything you don't want it to.

I have a question about that knot you mentioned. Did you tie off the stitching? If so, it's still going to come loose, eventually.

The best way to end the stitch is to back stitch it through the previous 3 or so holes.

You'll get your production time down by quite a bit. Initial development time always takes much longer.

Gary

Yep, the hammer can be a problem, but by placing your thumb directly under the hammer your thumb knuckle will allow the spur to clear the pocket. It works and is the way I pratice drawing. Should have bought a hammerless gun though.

Dirt and lint are a concern. Even more of an excuse to wash my pants now ;)

Thanks hedge for the stitching tip. I knoted and glued the knot. Move of a trying to delay the enevable than anything else. I'll try back stitching in the future.

Temp,

You are improving. I'm not sure of the design, but it's your own design and it's unique. Your stitching looks good and I see it as an improvment over your previous rivited holster. Your method of placing your thumb over the hammer when drawing is the way I myself draw from the pocket with an exposed hammer pistol. I would suggest that you extend the side of your holster to cover the cylinder and front of the holster so the hammer if covered while the weapon is in your pocket. That may save you from tearing up your pockets.

All in all, good job.

Randy

Edited by Randyc

This is only my opinion, but your draw method has more to do with snagginng than holster design. Check out the Ayoob pocket draw and note how he places his thumb on the hammer spur for any pocket draw.

I think your design concept is an excelent one. Different pocket holsters perform different jobs, from camouflaging the weapon to just making sure it is in the same place every time. I believe the most important feature of a pocket holster is to protect the trigger from coming into contact with anything at all, especially groping fingers frantically trying to grasp the pistol during a panic situation. Your design does that, also camouflages the outline of the revolver, and seems like it would hold the pistol up stationary in the same spot. Nice work.

Concerning the exposed cylinder; Lint isn't as much if a big deal as most people think. There are a lot of folks who pocket carry without a holster (bad idea) at all and I have never heard of a failure due to obstructions. If you inspect your pistol before you head out the door every day (which you should do anyway), you should be good to go. Here is a picture of one of my original pocket holster prototypes that underwent testing by an objective outsider. It worked how it was intentd to and got good reviews.

pocketjdu5.th.jpg

I commend you exploring new ways to make holsters. Keep up the good work.

This is only my opinion, but your draw method has more to do with snagginng than holster design. Check out the Ayoob pocket draw and note how he places his thumb on the hammer spur for any pocket draw.

I think your design concept is an excelent one. Different pocket holsters perform different jobs, from camouflaging the weapon to just making sure it is in the same place every time. I believe the most important feature of a pocket holster is to protect the trigger from coming into contact with anything at all, especially groping fingers frantically trying to grasp the pistol during a panic situation. Your design does that, also camouflages the outline of the revolver, and seems like it would hold the pistol up stationary in the same spot. Nice work.

Concerning the exposed cylinder; Lint isn't as much if a big deal as most people think. There are a lot of folks who pocket carry without a holster (bad idea) at all and I have never heard of a failure due to obstructions. If you inspect your pistol before you head out the door every day (which you should do anyway), you should be good to go. Here is a picture of one of my original pocket holster prototypes that underwent testing by an objective outsider. It worked how it was intentd to and got good reviews.

pocketjdu5.th.jpg

I commend you exploring new ways to make holsters. Keep up the good work.

Jeff,

Looks like a pretty unique design you had going there.

Steve

Nice job on the pocket holster and a new way to make one! Finish it and carry it. Then give a report.