UncleGeorge

signature confirmation?

When shipping to customers do you find it necessary to require "signature confirmation"? Or have you found that just "delivery confirmation" is enough? Have heard that there's some rascals out there that will claim they didn't get the delivery and get a refund through PayPal even though they did get the item. Would "signature confirmation" keep this from happening? The price for it would double my shipping costs. Is this something I should be concerned about? thanks for any input and experiences!

Hi George,

Signature confirmation will not double your shipping costs. It double's the customer's shipping cost. After reading UKRay's problems, I think it's a good idea to have some kind of confirmation, and signature conf. eliminates the excuse "well, I never got it, I don't care what the delivery service says".

You may not need to do it if you have a 'good' customer base. However, when dealing with Paypal, it's probably best to have your bases covered.

I have recently had two scammers try the 'it wasn't delivered' routine so now I always get a signature. As Mike says, the buyer pays shipping costs so make it clear that this is part of your trading policy.

I always send First Class Mail plus recorded delivery. This serves three purposes as it makes it less likely that the package will be 'lost' by the post office, provides me with basic tracking on the package and stops the customer from saying it hasn't been delivered - it works for me.

It costs me basic postage plus 75p - just over $1 extra to get the signature on delivery. I would imagine that those charges are similar in the US.

Hope this helps, it has saved me a lot of expense...

Ray

Signature receipt/confirmation is required if the customer paid with a credit card. Read the fine print of the VISA, Mastercard, etc., requirements. Otherwise they can dispute the charge and will win every time. Not quite sure where/how you have your products shipped, but it's only $1.75 more to add the signature confirmation utilizing USPS as the shipping agency.

Edited by K-Man

Signature receipt/confirmation is required if the customer paid with a credit card. Read the fine print of the VISA, Mastercard, etc., requirements. Otherwise they can dispute the charge and will win every time. Not quite sure where/how you have your products shipped, but it's only $1.75 more to add the signature confirmation utilizing USPS as the shipping agency.

Thanks that settles it. Buck 75 was what I found it to be also at USPS. My little wallet holster is very light so my shipping is a $1.73, doubling the shipping. But as yall say, they're paying it. My post office is only 4 blocks from the house so they'll be doing my shipping.

My wife had a similar experience and ended up refunded a customer that scammed her. But no way to prove it. Was only about 8 dollars. Some folks are just eternally desperate I guess. Reckon that's why they call 'em desperados. :rolleyes2:

When shipping to customers do you find it necessary to require "signature confirmation"? Or have you found that just "delivery confirmation" is enough? Have heard that there's some rascals out there that will claim they didn't get the delivery and get a refund through PayPal even though they did get the item. Would "signature confirmation" keep this from happening? The price for it would double my shipping costs. Is this something I should be concerned about? thanks for any input and experiences!

I work with a girl that does this. She says it's her favorite game.

She also goes to resturants and complains about everything so that they "comp" her meals. Then they give her gift certificates to come back again. She claims she hasn't paid for a meal in 3 years.

I look at her as a thief, but to her it's a game.

Milli

There certainly are a few folks out there that have learned how to run this scam.

I advertise free delivery to a US address. Customers love it because there are so many outfits using "shipping & handling fees" to boost profits (not that I'm implying that anyone here is doing that, but it does happen).

I accept credit card payments via PayPal only. With PayPal, if a customer reports an item not received, all I need to do is send the USPS delivery confirmation number and the case is closed.

I have had a couple of people try to use this dodge, and a quick check at the USPS website provides me with the delivery date, time, and address. This allows me to prove that I have provided what I advertised, "free delivery".

I recall only one instance of a parcel lost in the mail (no delivery confirmation). I provided a replacement item to that customer at no charge.

I also recall one instance of a parcel being returned "addressee unknown". E-mails to that customer were not returned. No telephone listing could be found. That item was pre-paid with a good money order. I've never heard from that customer again.

On average, I am sending out about 30 items per week, usually about 24 parcels. First class mail with delivery confirmation costs about $3 per item on average. Replacing one lost item cost me perhaps a few dollars in materials, about $3 for postage, and an hour or so of my time to produce.

I find that to be acceptable as a cost of doing business; whereas adding $1.75 to each order for signature confirmation would cost me about $40 per week ($2000 per year) in added expense.

Thank goodness that the overwhelming majority are honest!

I have been sending various products (leather belts, holsters, ect) for years & I can say I have not once been scamed. In fact on several occasions I have mailed the item before I received payment. I guess I've always felt people were honest. And I've really found that to be true in the gun & gun accessories business.

If they want to con me out of an $80 holster or a $70 belt - I figure they need it more than I do. Now I know some of you guys/gals are talking "big bucks" for your product, and that's a whole different story.

But with the economy & the way everything else seems to be going the "return signature" may not be a bad way to go.

I guess that hand shake & trust has gone out the window.

Suggest you research the Mastercard/VISA, etc., rules of play. It doesn't matter if they used Paypal or not as the vehicle. If they used a credit card, issued by a financial institution other than Paypal, then they can dispute the charge. Some folks/businesses I guess choose to run the risk of someone disputing it. Perhaps once they've had a customer claim a loss or disputed a large $$ order, then their perspective may change. Not a wise risk IMO.

As a vendor's customer base grows, the risk becomes greater. Of course, if you have a small amount of sales, that risk will remain at a lower level. YMMV.

Edited by K-Man