Sign in to follow this  
NoahL

Great horsehide supplier

Hello All,

I normally lurk, but I figured I might as well post about my experience with my newest source of horsehide leather! I called Milton Sokol/DeMar Leather (718-441-2226 or 888-765-6526 for toll-free) sometime this past April to see if they had horsehide, and I spoke to Pete Olsen. He said that they had been carrying it for years, but after they ran out this last time, the tannery wouldn't send them any more. He said he would see if he could get negotiations going to get more and he would call me back if they ever got any in.

Well, after that I pretty much forgot about it and went on to use another supplier. Then, a month or two ago Pete called me back! That in and of itself shocked and impressed me! He said they just got in a ton (several tons, actually) of 7-9oz horsehide butt strips. They normally sell in 50lb increments, because they already come wrapped that way from the tannery, but he was willing to pull some out for me at a little extra cost and I got 5lbs of it. Not only is it higher quality, and in larger strips than from the other suppliers I've tried, but even though he charged me more to pull out a smaller amount, I still got 4 strips for the price of 1 at those other suppliers! I've since used all the leather up on belt, chokers, bracelets, and a couple wrist cuffs, and I just placed an order for a few more strips today. All-in-all, a great experience with Pete, and the shipping from NY was much faster than I anticipated, which is always a plus!

~Noah

Edited by NoahL