Go2Tex

Fresh Off The Bench

Howdy Brent...................I somehow missed this when you first posted it.....................really nice work as usual. JW

Thank you, sir. Appreciate the feedback.

Hi Brent,

I'm not sure how I missed this the first time around but really nice work! It can be difficult making a short saddle look balanced but with the shape of your skirts and fenders and seat jockeys, you don't even notice the difference in length. Looks like you did some nice stitching on the horn cap and cantle binding and your floral carving just gets smoother every saddle.

Darc

Hi Brent,

I'm not sure how I missed this the first time around but really nice work! It can be difficult making a short saddle look balanced but with the shape of your skirts and fenders and seat jockeys, you don't even notice the difference in length. Looks like you did some nice stitching on the horn cap and cantle binding and your floral carving just gets smoother every saddle.

Darc

Well, thank you Darc, for saying so. Yeah, the stitching is coming along, much thanks to guys like you with your tips on thread and such. Your work has been a real inspiration to me and I strive for that kind of perfection with every poke of the awl. It just don't always work out that way! This cantle was a royal pain due to the very steep angle. And the carving is something that I always strive to improve with each attempt. Our weather down here in South Texas can be a factor that I'm still struggling with. It seems to swing wildly from very humid to very dry and that keeps you always at the mercy of something unpredictable from one day to the next. I'm either sitting there waiting for it to dry or trying to keep it wet enough to tool. Lot's o' fun.

Anyhow, very nice to hear from ya. How's biz up thar in the frozen North?

Brent,

seems my little corner of the frozen north isn't so frozen. Had the longest summer I can remember and the rains are just starting to come (about a month and a half late). I have the same casing problems as you; Being in a coastal rainforest plays havoc with my leather casing. It takes about two full days to air-dry leather here and three or four if I leave it under the sheepskin before it's ready to carve... when it's finally ready for carving it suddenly has an extraordinary ability to dry out. Good thing I'm in a run of plain roughouts right now, gives me a chance to get some of my sanity back.

Darc

Wow I don't know how I missed this but it's amazing works thanks for sharing.

Josh

I'm glad this thread got bumped because I really enjoy looking at this saddle!

Bobby

Once again I'm very impressed!!! But, we expect good ones from your bench! Ronny

Again, thank you all very much for the kind words and compliments. It is particularly encouraging in these hard times.