TomLine

Shoulder Rig that Works!

I have tormented by torbid desire to develop a shoulder holster that works. I hate being gripped under the arms, and I can't have a strap across the chest. I think I finally hit it. It's a model in simplicity too. Based on U.S. Military holsters, I've hit on a rig that goes over the front of the left shoulder, behind the neck, down the front of the right shoulder, then around the back to hook back to the holster.

shoulder1.jpg

Still a work in progress; the belt strap will either be eliminated entirely, or become very long. The main strap, will be stitched down the entire holster, not just at the top as it holds a lot of tension. Now I left the thing loose and unfitting, but that's become an asset. The holster will fit tons of small automatics, small to medium revolvers, and as big as auto as a hi power. A 1911 is a bit heavy for it. The rig fits a sweet spot that doesn't stick out the back or the front to print against your jacket. The leather is pliable, and there's no need for retention as the sweet spot the holster rides in under the arm keeps everything nice and snug.

shoulder2.jpg

Figure on taking the main vertical strap all the way down as it's holding most of the tension. This would require shortening the horizontal strap a bit but not much. The belt strap doesn't do much. In fact, if too short, it ends up with your pants adding weight.

HEY I just discovered it works well just to carry it like a bag over your shoulder and across the chest; like the old M3 military holster.

Edited by TomLine

How about a pic with you wearing it? I'm having a hard time picturing how it works.

Bronson

Very similar to the old US M3 design, sans retention strap for the handgun.

The M3 style is very comfortable to wear and offers very good access, particularly while seated. The trade-off is mostly in concealability, with that strap across the center of the user's chest.

I've made quite a few hunting rigs for the big hand cannons (TC Contenders, Remington XP, revolvers with scopes, etc) with a widened shoulder strap. Very stable means of carrying the large and heavy handguns.

Nice job.

I must be thicker than clay mud because I can't visualize how this works exactly, does it cross on your back? That is what I am seeing in my minds eye of how it wears. Can you throw it on and shoot a picture of it worn. I think I want to make one of these.

How about a pic with you wearing it? I'm having a hard time picturing how it works.

Bronson

+1

Yeah, looks just like the M3. I think a cut under the grip to allow better draw would help.

Here's a photo of someone wearing this style holster:

m3_shoulder_holster.jpg

sweetheartgrips.jpg

Yeah, looks just like the M3.

Except the OP said: "I can't have a strap across the chest", which is why I'm having a hard time picturing it.

From the description I think I've figured it out. I think instead of the strap running across the chest it loops over the shoulder and runs across the back of the neck and around the other shoulder.

Bronson

arig that goes over the front of the left shoulder, behind the neck,down the front of the right shoulder, then around the back to hook backto the holster.

it loops over the shoulder and runs across the back of the neck and around the other shoulder.

I think you have it.

My comment about it being an M3 design is based on the pattern, not how it's worn. I'd be surprised if the M3 wasn'tworn in different ways during it's tenure. Nevertheless, it's clearly atried and true method. I'd personally prefer a larger grip area cut out from it, and a proper fit that's been molded. I could live without the retention strap myself.

From the way I read it, it looks a littlesomething like this when worn dummy.jpg

post-6346-12548571605_thumb.jpg

Okay, I'll get the picture.

Instead of hooking across the chest, you wrap it around behind the back.

HEY that picture off the web is ME!