I have only seen one like this online. This is not a McClellan. The only marking/stamp is the number '34'. There are orange enamel tacks at reinforcement areas. This was typical of the one I found online. The stirrups are nickel/nickel plated and rubber grips are marked: Made in England - MILLER'S-Large You may know more about this and I'm curious if anyone could give me a history lesson. The saddle is in good-excellent condition, No cracks/mold. A few light scratches. Thanks!

British Offiers's Saddle.jpg

BOS Stirrup.jpg

post-11684-125484207935_thumb.jpg

post-11684-125484226544_thumb.jpg

I have only seen one like this online. This is not a McClellan. The only marking/stamp is the number '34'. There are orange enamel tacks at reinforcement areas. This was typical of the one I found online. The stirrups are nickel/nickel plated and rubber grips are marked: Made in England - MILLER'S-Large You may know more about this and I'm curious if anyone could give me a history lesson. The saddle is in good-excellent condition, No cracks/mold. A few light scratches. Thanks!

I have no answers for you, however I do know a group of experts and I will forward the photos onto them and see what I can find out.

David Genadek

Knut is correct. The cantle is similar to a UP. The seat and flaps bear similarities to the US M1917 or a Phillips saddle however the rear fans are not condusive to any of them. More investigation needed.

Barra

Thank you all for responding. Maybe one day I'll find the history on this beauty.

Hi There,

I am sure by now you have found the answer to your question. But maybe if you have not this will help. The saddle you have is indeed a british cavalry saddle of the late 19th Century. It would have been used by officers of most mounted regiments and by most seving soldiers inYeomanry regimens. It is much closer to a civillian saddle in its design than the Military pattern Universal Pattern saddle that most Cavalry enlisted men used during this period. Its fine workman ship shows that this saddle would have been used by an officer who was expected to keep better cair of his equipment and would have had a servant or Bat-man to look after his tack and saddle. The reason it is more like a civillian saddle is because like a McClellan saddle the UP Saddle was and still is quite an uncomfortable piece of kit. I hope this will help you. I have some photos of one of these saddles that I am restoring at the moment. I have completly taken it appart so you will be able to see the construction. Let me know if you are interested in the photos and I will post them

Kind regards.

Kieran