Sign in to follow this  
lthrman

F.A. Meanea model 14 P

I have an F.A. Meanea saddle that i bought as a project. Tha lady I bought it from took off all the leathers and used them for patterns to rebuild and decided she couldn't do it. All the leather is in good condition exept for the fenders which have been cut down probably for a kid I was told. Anyway I was just wondering what this thing is worth in it's current condition and is it worth restoring? I've looked around on the net and only found 1 model 14P picture no other info. If it's worth something I want to do it right.

Any info is helpfull.

I have an F.A. Meanea saddle that i bought as a project. Tha lady I bought it from took off all the leathers and used them for patterns to rebuild and decided she couldn't do it. All the leather is in good condition exept for the fenders which have been cut down probably for a kid I was told. Anyway I was just wondering what this thing is worth in it's current condition and is it worth restoring? I've looked around on the net and only found 1 model 14P picture no other info. If it's worth something I want to do it right.

Any info is helpfull.

F.A. Meanea is one of the most collectible saddles of the west and any of his saddles would be worth restoring if the condition allows. The value of any collectible is in the quality, scarcity and condition. If the leather is still healthy you should save each piece possible for reuse. Collectors can accept the replacement of those parts usually given to wear such as strings, stirrup leathers, sheepskin/felt and all straps. When replacing parts great pains must be taken to replicate the original exactly; color, carving and stamping must be identical to maintain value.The more original the leather material, the more value.

What leather has been removed, was it just the fenders or jockys, or was it more extensive?

Good Luck,

Doyle

It's been striped down to the tree. The only pieces that probably not salvageable are the fenders. The grain is worn off on the seat but it's still in good shape and the tooling is good. It's not rough out but it's starting to look that way.