1girlhorse

Is this a British Officers Saddle?

I have only seen one like this online some years ago but I think it had a horn, I can't be sure. I've been told this is not a McClellan. Theonly marking/stamp is the number '34'. There are orange enamel tacks a treinforcement areas. This was typical of the one I found online. The stirrups are nickel/nickel plated and rubber grips are marked: Made in England - MILLER'S-Large You may know more about this and I'm curious if anyone could give me a history lesson. The saddle is in good-excellent condition, No cracks/mold. A few light scratches .I'm wanting to sell but would like help in identifying properly. Thanks!

BOS Stirrup.jpg

British Offiers's Saddle.jpg

BOS '34'.jpg

post-11684-125555818086_thumb.jpg

post-11684-125555819255_thumb.jpg

post-11684-125555821234_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1girlhorse

I have only seen one like this online some years ago but I think it had a horn, I can't be sure. I've been told this is not a McClellan. Theonly marking/stamp is the number '34'. There are orange enamel tacks a treinforcement areas. This was typical of the one I found online. The stirrups are nickel/nickel plated and rubber grips are marked: Made in England - MILLER'S-Large You may know more about this and I'm curious if anyone could give me a history lesson. The saddle is in good-excellent condition, No cracks/mold. A few light scratches .I'm wanting to sell but would like help in identifying properly. Thanks!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/atq/1420659094.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/atq/1420659094.html

Looks like a dressage saddle to me. IIRC, Miller's was/is a well-known tack shop in NYS.

I tried to post this a while back but in the site transition it looks like it got lost. I have forwarded the pictures to a group of very serious military saddle collectors. I was only able to download one picture before, the one of the saddle.

Here was the reply I got.

Thatsaddle that your friend was asking about – on a decent-sized screen it does notlook like a UP to me. However I am asking others. Not sure, but itcould be a civilian or police version of a Whitman. Do you know if it hasany markings?

I just sent the other two pictures with the stirrup and the marking and we will see what they come up with. If this group doesn't know what it is then it isn't much of anything in terms of collectibility.

David Genadek

Ok here is the response I received today. This is from a group of very exclusive military saddle collectors form around the world.

Dave:

I am quite sure it is not an American military saddle, and our experts over at TMH don't think it is British. The shape is that of a Whitman, a saddle type experimented with by the Cavalry but ultimately not adopted except for officers. However, it is absolutely NOT a military Whitman. The Whitman saddle company made civilian ones for many years –well into the 20th century. It could be one of theirs or one made like it by someone else. That's my best guess.

The foot staples on the cantle do add a bit to the mystery. Usually those are for attaching saddlebags that use slots and leather tabs – as do McClellans. Military Whitmans had those, too. However, the military ones were split-seated like McClellans, and used center -fire rigging like McClellans. They are also very scarce and very old.

We can't rule out officer's private purchase, as officers had to buy their own and rode what they pleased. Similarly, we can't rule out police. However, there is no evidence to rule them in, either.

If I were selling it on Ebay, I'd call it a "Whitman type" saddle and be sure and point out that although the shape is much like a Whitman, it is not military and it is rigged differently from many Whitmans.

Cheers!

Joe

David Genadek

Edited by David Genadek

I know this is a really old post but in doing research on another saddle, I believe I have identified this saddle fyi and future reference. This to my knowledge is a Whitman Full Jockey and Park with detachable flaps and used a center fire rigging. This had there no 9 tree. They were made with pigskin and nickel hardware. The saddle sold for $75.00 at that time. This information came from the Mehlbach Saddle Co. Catalog circa 1919. factory located in Newark, NJ.

Thank You,

Tom

I saw a saddle like this years ago and was told it was a horse patrolman's saddle, as in police man.