14 members have voted

1. 1. For CCW Holsters, do you prefer to use Sides or Shoulders?

Are there any opinions on which is better for holster construction, rigidity, forming, durability etc. ? I started with shoulders but have recently ben working with sides and it seems to be a superior cut, but it does seem softer and I am wondering if this is going to translate to a holster that may not hold it's form as well, especially with an IWB. I am using 8-9 wt at this point. The flesh side is certainly smoother, it sems to cut nicer as well.

I think it depends on what else you do. If you have a use for the belly portion where it starts getting softer and thinning out a bit then by all means get the sides. If the sides are cheaper go for it. If all you do is holsters then double shoulders are nice or if you want to drop the money on them you can get backs which is just both sides with the belly cut off.

I think its all about usable leather and how much waste you produce.

I personally like sides but I make all kinds of things, belts, occasional holster, purses, grab bags, windsheild bags, little nick nacks. I can generally find a use for most of the leather.

Are there any opinions on which is better for holster construction, rigidity, forming, durability etc. ? I started with shoulders but have recently ben working with sides and it seems to be a superior cut, but it does seem softer and I am wondering if this is going to translate to a holster that may not hold it's form as well, especially with an IWB. I am using 8-9 wt at this point. The flesh side is certainly smoother, it sems to cut nicer as well.

I generally buy double shoulders of good quality, but my product line is primarily holsters. I also purchase lighter weights of leather, but use two layers, bonded flesh side to flesh side to obtain the actual weight I need. Mike

Edited by katsass

I used shoulders for many years, but have gone over to sides for holsters (still using 9-10 oz. shoulders for belts and occasionally for very heavy duty holsters).

As has been pointed out already, sides usually offer areas of lighter weight material, which I find handy for pouches and other accessory items.

Whichever you use, purchasing from a reputable source and buying the products of well-known tanneries will keep you supplied with the materials needed for best results.