Goonhorse

Guitar Strap

Not sure if this the right place to put this, but I'm wondering what is a good weight for a guitar strap. And a good leather, as well. I'm new to this stuff, so I hope this isn't TOO dumb of a question! :blush:

No such things as dumb questions!

I done one strap so far. 2" wide and 1/8" thickness. Don't know what weight that is but I think you'll figure that out. Veg. tanned, no lining, rough edges (per request) no particular strap adjusting, just very long and holes for adjusting. Some simple carved tooling on the front and it carries the weight of a massive Gibson Les Paul. Owner is superhappy with it.

Oh and one thing, this is THE place to ask such a thing!

Congrats and welcome to the friendly and helpful atmosphere here!

Tom

Might be a good idea to get veg tan belt strap of appropriate width. Cheaper than buying a shoulder or side and you have nice straight edges.

No such things as dumb questions!

I done one strap so far. 2" wide and 1/8" thickness. Don't know what weight that is but I think you'll figure that out. Veg. tanned, no lining, rough edges (per request) no particular strap adjusting, just very long and holes for adjusting. Some simple carved tooling on the front and it carries the weight of a massive Gibson Les Paul. Owner is superhappy with it.

Oh and one thing, this is THE place to ask such a thing!

Congrats and welcome to the friendly and helpful atmosphere here!

Tom

Thanks! According a leather conversion chart I looked at, it would be about 8 oz. :dunno: I don't know if that's correct or not! :) I'll have to look in my Tandy catalogue.

Might be a good idea to get veg tan belt strap of appropriate width. Cheaper than buying a shoulder or side and you have nice straight edges.

I thought about this AFTER I asked this question, too. :) But thanks for the tip!

Yup, 1/8" equals 8 oz.

The conversion from inches to ounces is fairly straightforward. All you have to remember is that 1/64" equals 1 oz. Knowing this, you can easily find the weight of any piece of leather.

Yup, 1/8" equals 8 oz.

The conversion from inches to ounces is fairly straightforward. All you have to remember is that 1/64" equals 1 oz. Knowing this, you can easily find the weight of any piece of leather.

Thanks, that's handy to know!