Sign in to follow this  
Des804

Turkshead Formula

Ok I searched and didnt find anything. Does anyone know the Formula to tell by the Diameter what size lace to get to completly make a tight turkshead over an item. I made my first Turkshead end wrap for practice but only had a few supplies and the weave was just a tad loose but not loose enough to double it.

I second that. And add pictorials (for me), diagrams (not for me).

I've always just kept trying until I got it right. "Practice Makes Perfect" for those of us that don't "get it" :crazy:

Edited by Spence

If it doesn't fit, I just change the turk's head... I keep going until it is right. Just increase it if it is too small.

There probably is a math method to figure this out but I am a math moron. I use my experience to judge where to start and adjust from there.

Another vote for experience.

ALthough it can help to use mainly one size of lace.

If you keep using 1/8" inch lace, you kinda learn to see how many bights will cover something just nicely. Same thing works for gaucho's and pineapples for me.

ALthough that helps too, for using smaller stuff.

Say I have a braid of 1/4", and I usually use 1/8th, a turks head covering of 6 bights will encircle quite nicely, but take the 1/8" (3mm approx) to 2mm, and it's fairly easy to see that going upto 8-10 bights will work well...

Edited by 8thsinner

Sadly even though I have the Rawhide and leather Encyclopedia I've only been able to do (in leather) the one that Drac has in his tutorial on them. It just Barely was to small but I do like the idea of being able to use the same type of lace for everything ( I Only have 1 kind at the moment ). I used electical tape on my first knot that I just finished I just need more practice and stuff.

Practice, experience and experimentation.

I have quite a few reference books in my library of rope and leatherwork. When I want a particular turkshead, braid or knot, for a project, I go to my library, find it and experiment until it comes out just right.

That is the way I was taught many years ago and I believe it has stood me in good stead. Two of my mentors had very different teaching methods. One would walk over and cut the knot or braid if it was not correct. The other stressed the need to always go to the book, because there was too much to memorize. But - different strokes for different folks. :cheers:

Edited by Spence

No books on anything to do with Leatherworking at my library and they arent connected to any other librarys to see about loaning books from them I found out long ago that my library was the worst place to go to try and learn stuff cause they basically have nothing there. I guess thats what happens when you have no funding and your in a ghost town. Yeah I need to practice more..

Try asking them about interlibrary loans, most places still do that. but they may charge you for it.

Thats what I was refering to they dont do that here.

No books on anything to do with Leatherworking at my library and they arent connected to any other librarys to see about loaning books from them I found out long ago that my library was the worst place to go to try and learn stuff cause they basically have nothing there. I guess thats what happens when you have no funding and your in a ghost town. Yeah I need to practice more..

Sorry, I was referring to books that I own, that make up my own library. I know what you're going through with a very small town library - and a smaller budget. A really great alternative is right here, where you're at. In addition, one of the members, Knothead, has a website that is about as good as it gets for learning things. I'm no good at all with writing up tutorials, even though I'll sit for hours teaching someone.

Yes, practice is the key, but you need to know what to practice on too. After 50 years, I still have a 3' piece of rope that I will take with me if I expect to be waiting for something - doctor, car repair, etc. You can't possibly remember all of the knots and fancywork that are in the many books out there. What works for me - I figure out what I'm going to be tying, braiding or weaving, along with what materials I'm gonna need for a particular project. I then grab the pertinent book (in your case - find it here or on Knothead's site) and start tying it with rope. Once I've got it figured out, I take that rope with me - and tie those knots, etc at every opportunity. By the time you're ready to start your project, you are fully prepared.

Good luck and never hesitate to ask questions. This forum is the best there is.

Thats a good tip spence.

I used to to something similar in a way, on the bus, The straps of my back pack I used to tie about two foot of string, and just mess around with regular knots and bends on the bus...