NewYorkerInSydney

Do you prefer a 4 prong punch, awl or what to make sewing holes?

I am guilty of using the four prong chisel along with a single, I do use my awl that has the thread in it as well, it is cool and not difficult to user I have different sized prong chisels for different apps. I also use a wheel/s for different spacing of the stitches. I will also actually poke the holes with an awl that6 does not have the thread in it and sew away by hand and feeling. Until I get a variable speed motor to replace the clutch motor, I will not use my tacsew. I slowed it down half way, but clutching and braking is achieveable, but takes a few 10 minutes

I have never had much luck getting anywhere hand stitching in the normal manner. For one thing I always wanted a sit down stitching pony and not that inane flimsy thing that Tandy tries to sell people. And most are a little rich for my blood. All of my hand stitching is done using a three point 3/32" thonging chisel. Look at this one.

http://www.tandyleat...ature=Product_5

I have modify to increase sharpness using a Dremel tool but using a three prong and a single prong gets it done for me at this point. Of course going down so small, as in the case of a watch band, does require the traditional approach or a machine. My own opinion is that those four prongs are totally too big. They leave a hole big enough to drive a freight train through.

Edited by Storm