ruthless

Tapering

If I want to taper a collar from 2" to 1.5", for example, is there a tool I can use to do it neatly?

Yes....that would be a head or round knife. However it can be done easily with any sharp, narrow pointed knife. I have a couple that look like paring knives and they work just fine. Wet your leather and then use a pair of dividers to make a line which represents the taper. The taper can gradually narrow into the full width or you can use something round to mark the curve from your scribed line back to the full width....either way. If you have a strap end punch, you can place the heel of one side of the punch on your scribed line and and make the transition cut that way. Then take your knife and cut along the scribed line you made with the dividers to complete the taper. Use a strap end punch or your knife to cut the shape of the tip. Piece of cake!

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

It's always possible to make a jig for doing this too, but it's a lot of work and not worth it unless your doing it a lot...

Just my 2 euro cents:

Usually I draw the curve/profile I need on cardboard then

cut it out with scissors then

mark on leather with a scratch awl then

cut out with a round knife.

L.