Received a dagger needing a new leather coat...

PB217189.jpg

Took me a few hours, but here it is... Tell me what I should have done differently.. this is the third sheath and I am still learning from my mistakes and this one has a lot of them....

PB217192-1.jpg

This was my first time using the Sam Browne Stud... another learning opportunity...

PB217197.jpg

Areas to improve next time...

Horizontal loop on back of scabbord is really tight.. narrow knife leaves little room for this set up, next time I think I will put a couple of loops around the entire sheath and snap bacl to the front... First time using a concho as well, this biker cross looks decent on the black with silver accents... Might need to go back and dye the thread. It is a green kevlar fiber that God knows where I got...

PB217188.jpg

PB217186.jpg

Very nice sheath for the Sykes-Fairborne commando dagger!!!

Hell of a coincidence, I just got an order to make a sheath for one of those!!!!

I'll get mine done and we'll compare notes.

Thank for the comments, did not know what the knife was, just that the guys dad brought it back... I don't think the sheath was original but close none the less. I would definately do some things differently on the sheath next time, but fun practice and learning... Twin Oaks, i would be interested in seeing what you come up with...

Edited by Huntbuck

Thankfor the comments, did not know what the knife was, just that the guysdad brought it back... I don't think the sheath was original but closenone the less. I would definately do some things differently on thesheath next time, but fun practice and learning... Twin Oaks, i wouldbe interested in seeing what you come up with...

Here's a photo of a Fairbairn-Sykes WWII 3rd Model in original package with original scabbard. The tabs on the scabbard are to allow you to sew it into the uniform.

SYKES%20FAIRBAIRN%20COMMANDO%20KNIFE.JPG

So, yes, the scabbard that came with the knife was probably not the original one, but frankly I prefer the one that you did myself.

Z.

Here's a photo of a Fairbairn-Sykes WWII 3rd Model in original package with original scabbard.  The tabs on the scabbard are to allow you to sew it into the uniform.

SYKES%20FAIRBAIRN%20COMMANDO%20KNIFE.JPG

So, yes, the scabbard that came with the knife was probably not the original one, but frankly I prefer the one that you did myself.

Z.

There I go again turning the name around. HA! This is a beauty! I have seen so many knock offs over the years and it is great to see an original Sheffield model. The British commando types used these to a high level of effectiveness during WWII.

So, knife experts... (Zwack and Storm) are these knives sharp, this one was not a razor sharp, but did have a useable edge... I am leaving it as it is... it looks like it had been sharpened once maybe... hard to tell since the edge is clean and even from the blued blade to the knife edge... the blade is nick free and has some staining on it but you can still read the maker name and maker mark..

J. Nowill & Sons

Sheffield, England

Established A.D. 1700

I think that is what is says, it is kind of light and right on the edge of the center portion of the blade.. nice heft and feels NASTY in your hand... GRIN!

Thanks again for the comments and replys

RJ

I like the work.

So, knife experts... (Zwack and Storm) are these knives sharp, this one was not a razor sharp, but did have a useable edge... I am leaving it as it is... it looks like it had been sharpened once maybe... hard to tell since the edge is clean and even from the blued blade to the knife edge... the blade is nick free and has some staining on it but you can still read the maker name and maker mark..

J. Nowill & Sons

Sheffield, England

Established A.D. 1700

I think that is what is says, it is kind of light and right on the edge of the center portion of the blade.. nice heft and feels NASTY in your hand... GRIN!

RJ

The one that I posted a picture of was also made by John Nowill and Sons in Sheffield. They're still in business although now part of another company. Their website.

I'm not any form of knife expert... I've just heard about the Fairbairn-Sykes enough to know them when I see them. :)

I don't know how sharp they would normally be either.

Z.

The one that I posted a picture of was also made by John Nowill and Sons in Sheffield. They're still in business although now part of another company. Their website.

I'm not any form of knife expert... I've just heard about the Fairbairn-Sykes enough to know them when I see them. smile.gif

I don't know how sharp they would normally be either.

Z.

In close-quarters fighting there is no more deadly weapon than the knife. In choosing a knife there are two important factors to bear in mind: balance and keenness. The hilt should fit easily in your hand, and the blade should not be so heavy that it tends to drag the hilt from your fingers in a loose grip. It is essential that the blade have a sharp stabbing point and good cutting edges, because an artery torn through (as against a clean cut) tends to contract and stop the bleeding. If a main artery is cleanly severed, the wounded man will quickly lose consciousness and die have a look here http://en.wikipedia...._Fighting_Knife

have a look here for the best description of the British FS fighting knife http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/fs_knife1.htm

and here for the original sheath designs

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/more/fs_sheaths_english.htm

Edited by HC Leathers

J. Nowill & Sons

Sheffield, England

Established A.D. 1700

RJ

Would have been razor sharp originally.

Big debate which is number one but it is this and the Bowie fighting it out.

Also the side ties on the sheath might be for arm/leg carry which was very popular for this knife.

Nicely done,

liked what you did with the cross concho. Great kife, light in the hand, nasty in the body. (grin)

Thanks for the comments... I think it came out OK... shared it with a local gun show guy and am going to be making some leather for his knives... good stuff.. thanks again for all the comments and tips throughout the forum..

RJ

ya man its nice. i would of taken off the part where the belt loop is and moved it down but thats just me. Nice job.

Very pretty! Looks nice and clean. :)

Great stuff, all around. Always loved the F-S knives.

Huntback, you said your friends dad brought it back. From where?