Sign in to follow this  
builderman1928

cheap tooling sides

Has anyone used the imported veg tanned sides ($60 ea) that Zack White has for sale? Are they a decent quality for small to medium projects? I know the adage about getting what you pay for so....

I am getting back into leather after about 15 years. I would describe myself as somewhere between a beginner and intermediate skill level. I have done some tooling, made a couple of western style holsters, some cases, book covers and knife sheaths. I have also done some hand and machine sewing with leather and fur.

I work with a scout type youth group and would like to begin teaching them some basics but don't want to use the simple kits offered at Tandy. Because of budget I am purchasing the leather and I can't spend a lot on this project. I am hoping that there would be some fairly good sections out of what would be left over that I could use for projects.

I am open to any other source/product suggestions

I can't comment on the $60.00 sides , that sounds reeaallyy cheap, however I can tell you if you get some HO sides from Springfield Leather @ $4.79 sq. ft. you won't be disappointed.