Sign in to follow this  
chouinardragon

Rivet+Snap fastener

Hi,

I have few questions about rivets and snap fasteners. If anyone knows something about it,please tell me.

Thanks in advance!

1)

I can't tell what kind of rivet of attached photos. Copper rivets without burrs? Round/flat rapid rivets?

And what size are these rivets,as I know the height of that sling hook is 1.5 inch,leather thickness is 0.4mm.

2)

If I want to punch a copper rivet without burr onto the belt, what kind of tool should I use?

Can a rivet setter do that? Or I need a hand press?

3)

Where can get some German Prym nickel snap fasteners in the US? You can check the attached photo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

back.jpg

prym snaps.jpg

post-11650-125932555119_thumb.jpg

post-11650-125932557984_thumb.jpg

1)

I can't tell what kind of rivet of attached photos. Copper rivets without burrs? Round/flat rapid rivets?

And what size are these rivets,as I know the height of that sling hook is 1.5 inch,leather thickness is 0.4mm.

This is probably a tubular rivet with cap. The tubular rivet is stronger than a rapid rivet, and flares out into the cap back for a clean look on both sides. You would need a rivet setter for a tubular rivet. I think the Rex style riveter would be the cheapest option. A foot press would be the most efficient, even better with hopper.

2)

If I want to punch a copper rivet without burr onto the belt, what kind of tool should I use?

Can a rivet setter do that? Or I need a hand press?

Copper rivets are one of the strongest fasteners you could use, but I don't understand how you can set it without the burr. Is this for cosmetics?

Hi,

I have no idea about the rivet without burr.I was told by a sling hook belt maker who is willing selling me some sling hooks that I attached. He only wants to sell me sling hooks but no rivets.He told me that I could order from a distributor he used to buy from. He wrote "A one pound box of those #13 X 5/8 inch copper belt rivets without the burrs should be sufficient. Most stores do not carry that size rivets in stock, so you probably will have to get them from a distributor. You will not need the burrs." Maybe I misunderstood him because of my poor English.

But it's obviously that the hook belt I attached is different from his rifle sling hook belt.

About the tubular rivet you mentioned, maybe you will want to check this video which shows how they make leather products. They punched and imprinted in the video. Here's the link:

Maybe after watching, you will figure it out and tell me then,I mean if you want to.

Thanks!

Chris