Sign in to follow this  
shehog

stitching or lacing clamp

Does anyone have a photo they can post of what their stitching or lacing clamps look like? Do you use them while seated or standing? I want to fabricate one but am not sure if I want one that I can use while sitting or one I can attatch to my bench ala CitizenKate. Capgun Kid posted some instructions on how to make one but I was wondering if anyone had any clear photos.

Thanks in advance.

Shehog

This image shows a collection of stitching clamps I found on the internet. They are similar to what "The Capgun Kid" was describing in his other post. You'll see one clamp is made in France by Vergez-Blanchard and another is sold through Bowstock in the U.K.

Cheers,

Lippy

stitching_clamps.jpg

post-6858-126153055519_thumb.jpg

Do a google image search for

saddlers clamp

saddlers clam

stitching horse

stitching pony

You'll get lots of ideas

Barra

This image shows a collection of stitching clamps I found on the internet. They are similar to what "The Capgun Kid" was describing in his other post. You'll see one clamp is made in France by Vergez-Blanchard and another is sold through Bowstock in the U.K.

Cheers,

Lippy

Lippy,

What a beautiful collection, thanks for posting the pics. How is the pressure applied to the work on that style of clamp?

Shehog

Shehog. Those are knowns as saddlers clamps or to be more precise, clams. The timber is usually steam bent and when the 2 halves are joined, the clam in under spring tension. They are held between the knees as illustrated in the pic. The jaws can be seperated with the hand enough to get the job in and when you let go the clams spring back. Some versions have a saddle staple on one half and a hole on the other. A strap or old stirrup leather goes around the staple, thru the hole and attaches to a stirrup iron. One foot is placed in the iron for extra tension. I personally have never had a need for using the iron/leather tensioning device

Here is another home made version.

http://www.saddlerycourses.com/images/tools/clams_1.jpg

Barra

Shehog. Those are knowns as saddlers clamps or to be more precise, clams. The timber is usually steam bent and when the 2 halves are joined, the clam in under spring tension. They are held between the knees as illustrated in the pic. The jaws can be seperated with the hand enough to get the job in and when you let go the clams spring back. Some versions have a saddle staple on one half and a hole on the other. A strap or old stirrup leather goes around the staple, thru the hole and attaches to a stirrup iron. One foot is placed in the iron for extra tension. I personally have never had a need for using the iron/leather tensioning device

Here is another home made version.

http://www.saddleryc...ols/clams_1.jpg

Barra

Barra,

Thanks for the info., much appreciated.

Shehog