LarsFromMars

Singer 31-15 help needed

I'm 51 and had a heart attack, so I have to take it easy. I bought an old singer sewing machine from a shoe retiring shoe repair man because it could sew leather. On my bucket list, are a few leather creations. A Wallet, a belt, a business card holder, some custom holsters/sleeves to hold my mag light, swiss army knife, cell phone etc. I have always been a bit like bat man with things attached all over me so I won;t lose them and they are ready when needed.

So I spent about 6 hours just finding the manual and learning how to thread the needle and bobbin and adjust tension and stitch length. This machine has electric motor, but no working foot treadle or knee lifter, but it does sew thin leather. I used it in his shop, but now he's not around to help and I'm all alone at home with this machine, some leather and hopefully some of you folks can guide me through this. I might need a new bobbin, or just some info as to how to get the stitch tension right. The seem looks OK on top, but on the bottom, it's incorrect. According to my manual the top tension needs adjustment. I tried it with some old blue jeans and it is still not right. I messed with the tiny bobbin tension adjusting screw, dropped it and almost lost it twice. I gave up at about 3 AM yesterday. Eventually, I want to learn to make some fancy embossing and color logo's like some of the one's Ive seen on your fantastic website.

But First, can you help me to sew a straight line on two practice pieces. If I can do that, I will be jumping for joy.

Edited by Johanna
changed topic title and moved for better response

Hi Lars, i have the same machine and was wondering if maybe you have the bobbin thread coming in the wrong direction. I'll look at mine in the morning and see if i see anything that will help you. Maybe somebody a whloe lot smarter than me will give you their ideals.

Hi Lars, i have the same machine and was wondering if maybe you have the bobbin thread coming in the wrong direction. I'll look at mine in the morning and see if i see anything that will help you. Maybe somebody a whloe lot smarter than me will give you their ideals.

Yes, a lady friend of mine told me at the restaurant that maybe I have my bobbin in backwards. From her grin I was thinking that she meant I had a screw loose. We both laughed, but I have not tried it yet. It looks right according to the manual. I have this cool device called Iphone, so I could send fairly good pics if someone was interested.