Sign in to follow this  
unicornwoman

Braided Snakes

No, don't ask me how I tripped over this--I doubt I could explain it. How to make Braided Snakes.

Braided Snake directions

My son loves snakes - think I will try one...

Great Find! Thanks for posting!!!!

I just mastered the 4 strain coreless round braid.... think I will try this snake...

Great Find.

Awesome! I love those old popular science magazines. Though before my time, my childhood was spent doing this type of stuff. Later as most boys do, I would move on to making gunpowder and blowing up apples.

My wife is irrationally afraid of snakes......I can't wait to start braiding up one that she can't hurt with the broom. :devil:

One of Ron Edwards booklets has a method for making Braided snakes from roo. I saw one that david morgan made about 30 years ago when John Leonetti and I were doing a whip cracking workshop with David's son Will in January. You can see David Morgan's snake at http://web.me.com/jo.../122709.html#60.

Here's a SNAKE signal whip that I made a few weeks after seeing the braided snake that David Morgan made:

snake-signal-whip_1_011210.jpg

My braided snake has a checkerboard plait on the back and sides and an over two under two type pattern on the bottom to look more like a snake. Here's a close up of the snakes belly:

snake-signal-whip_3_011210.jpg

snake-signal-whip_2_011210-164x300.jpg

This signal whip cracked very well and it was a fun project.

Louie