HARVEY

Carving/Tooling . . . Ink Spots

I'm kinda stumped on how I would carve . . . an inkspot. I can't seem to get my head wrapped around carving/tooling one. take a penny/nickel/dime as a template and splotch it out?? If you go to the link below, there are some good ones.

www.ethernectar.com/brushes/inkspots_1200.jpg

I sure could use some suggestions. Thanks, One and All

Harvey

Have to think about that one. Oh, are we talking about the black ink or the gray shadow?

I'm kinda stumped on how I would carve . . . an inkspot. I can't seem to get my head wrapped around carving/tooling one. take a penny/nickel/dime as a template and splotch it out?? If you go to the link below, there are some good ones.

www.ethernectar.com/brushes/inkspots_1200.jpg

I sure could use some suggestions. Thanks, One and All

Harvey

Why not just print the picture on paper, then take tracing paper and trace the outline you want?? You can adjust the picture size larger or smaller before you print it, then trace the outline and BAM! You've got pattern!

Hope this helps...

Troy

Harvey, if you just want the spot try using a bottle dropper and put a drop of dye on the leather and then use a straw and blow on it. That should give you the spat pattern. If you want to carve it- try the same with some water, or maybe some neatsfoot oil (if discoloration isnt' a concern) and then just swivel cut around whatever splat occurs.

Crystal

Thanks, Everyone. It's such a different and spontaneous or accidental shape, I just wasn't sure how to tackle it. Good ideas here, and I appreciate them. The ideas would apply to either the grey or black spots. I'll play with this some, and if I proceed, I'll post it. Thanks again, Everyone!

Harvey