Sign in to follow this  
Nevadan

Birds eye 18 strands

Anybody know the pattern for a birds Eye plait in 18 strands (if there is one)? And the one for 16 strands (if there is one).

Edited by Nevadan

Anybody know the pattern for a birds Eye plait in 18 strands (if there is one)? And the one for 16 strands (if there is one).

Sorry I have no idea!! I'm not even sure what it looks like. Do ya have a picture of a example. Would be interested in seeing when your done.

Mike

Gday mate ,

i have a book of Ron Edwards how to make whips and he has a 12plait birds eye , then there is a egyptian eye which is like ya birds eye but , another square on the outside , try and google it , if ya have no luck i could draw it up then send you the passes , there are two ways to do it , spiral method or alternate strand method.

Cheers from down under.

PS thats is a round plait you are looking for ????

Edited by Bevan

Sorry I have no idea!! I'm not even sure what it looks like. Do ya have a picture of a example. Would be interested in seeing when your done.

Mike

Sorry no camera. (that works)

Gday mate ,

i have a book of Ron Edwards how to make whips and he has a 12plait birds eye , then there is a egyptian eye which is like ya birds eye but , another square on the outside , try and google it , if ya have no luck i could draw it up then send you the passes , there are two ways to do it , spiral method or alternate strand method.

Cheers from down under.

PS thats is a round plait you are looking for ????

I know the 12 plait that is: Right, under 3, over 3: Right, Under 2, Over 2, Under 2: then Left, Under 3, over 3: Left, Under 3, Over 3. This works because 6 is divisable by both 3 and 2 so I think perhaps I can get a similiar affect in 16 plait by following the pattern, Right, Under 4, Over 4: Right, Over 2, Under 2, Over 2, Under 2: then Left, Under 4, Over 4: Left, Under 4, Over 4. But will have to try it and see.

For 18 Plait I can't figure anything unless maybe using a 9 and 3 pattern.

Sorry no camera. (that works)

I know the 12 plait that is: Right, under 3, over 3: Right, Under 2, Over 2, Under 2: then Left, Under 3, over 3: Left, Under 3, Over 3. This works because 6 is divisable by both 3 and 2 so I think perhaps I can get a similiar affect in 16 plait by following the pattern, Right, Under 4, Over 4: Right, Over 2, Under 2, Over 2, Under 2: then Left, Under 4, Over 4: Left, Under 4, Over 4. But will have to try it and see.

For 18 Plait I can't figure anything unless maybe using a 9 and 3 pattern.

You'll have to adapt the pattern for 18 but it might get a little dicey since you are working with odd numbers on each side. You might consider going to 20 plat. Most of the patterns in handles seem to work better in multiples of four. -8, 12, 16, 20, 24, etc.

Give it a go and see what happens

You'll have to adapt the pattern for 18 but it might get a little dicey since you are working with odd numbers on each side. You might consider going to 20 plat. Most of the patterns in handles seem to work better in multiples of four. -8, 12, 16, 20, 24, etc.

Give it a go and see what happens

I ended up using 16 strands. It worked out alright.

I can help you out with 12 plait Birdseye if that will do you any good.