Buddytink

What All Do I Need?

Ok Ive ALWAYS LOVED horse tack LOL. For Christmas, I wanted to go to a tack store that was out of state LOL mainly just to look. Well Im tired of looking and I wanna start making my own now, The only problem is, Ive never made anything with leather :( Ive made rope halters and have always wanted to make other tack, bridles, bronc halters, breast collars and maybe some day my own saddle (saddle WAAY on down the line though). I dont have a leather sewing machine so I cant really do anything too fancy. Im thinking at first I should start out with something simple and make a bronc halter nose peice or a bridle. I'd like for them to have some sort of design engraved into the leather. Im going to hold it all together with glue and skrews, since I cant sew into the leather. So "What all do I need as far as tools go to do this?" and "How do you know how much, what kind, and how thick of leather you'll need? Im only making a bridle and a nose piece to a bronc halter.

Find a Tandy store and take a beginners class, I think they are free and every manager I have ever met is very friendly and helpful. Then you will understand what basic tools you need to start. You don't need a machine to sew, just a few simple tools, thread needles and patience, oh and some tape around your pinky fingers, you will realize that soon enough, they have books at Tandy that explain step by step how to sew. Other than that you just need to practice a lot.

Have fun, good luck!

Find a Tandy store and take a beginners class, I think they are free and every manager I have ever met is very friendly and helpful. Then you will understand what basic tools you need to start. You don't need a machine to sew, just a few simple tools, thread needles and patience, oh and some tape around your pinky fingers, you will realize that soon enough, they have books at Tandy that explain step by step how to sew. Other than that you just need to practice a lot.

Have fun, good luck!

Thanks for the info! I dont think I have a Tandy store nearby, will check though. Im so excited, I was dreaming about it in my sleep LOL

Thanks for the info! I dont think I have a Tandy store nearby, will check though. Im so excited, I was dreaming about it in my sleep LOL

Not sure where your located but I self taught myself in the beginning with a Tandy beginners kit doing coasters and key fobs. That was so many years ago before the internet was invented, now you have so many learning aids and examples on this site to help you. If you truly want to learn this it really is not that difficult, of course very few will ever be as good as say Peter Main or Bob Park but the basics are pretty easy to do and very rewarding.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Starter-Sets/55510-00.aspx?feature=Product_2

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Books-Patterns/61944-00.aspx?feature=Product_31

Mark

Ok Ive ALWAYS LOVED horse tack LOL. For Christmas, I wanted to go to a tack store that was out of state LOL mainly just to look. Well Im tired of looking and I wanna start making my own now, The only problem is, Ive never made anything with leather sad.gif Ive made rope halters and have always wanted to make other tack, bridles, bronc halters, breast collars and maybe some day my own saddle (saddle WAAY on down the line though). I dont have a leather sewing machine so I cant really do anything too fancy. Im thinking at first I should start out with something simple and make a bronc halter nose peice or a bridle. I'd like for them to have some sort of design engraved into the leather. Im going to hold it all together with glue and skrews, since I cant sew into the leather. So "What all do I need as far as tools go to do this?" and "How do you know how much, what kind, and how thick of leather you'll need? Im only making a bridle and a nose piece to a bronc halter.

If you have a faster internet connection, . . . go to YouTube, . . . get a large iced tea (lemon and sugar for sure thumbsup.gif ), . . . sit back, . . . and enjoy.

There is so much there, . . . you will think died and went to some kind of leatherworker's Valhalla.

May God bless,

Dwight

Along with Tandy, I would recommend Leather Crafters Journal. http://www.leathercraftersjournal.com Practice, Read, Learn, Practice some more.