Sign in to follow this  
DarbyFett

Holster Retention

I am getting a 1911 next week and its screaming for a Mexican Loop or Texas Jock Strap. I have mainly been making PC western leather for my 1851 Conversion so no retention strap needed there.

My problem is, most Mexican Loops for 1911s I see have a big ol' retention strap, which for me really takes away from the graceful lines of the Mexican loop.I understand its there because the holster isn't as deep as it would be for a 7" Single Action but is there a way to more subtly retain it? I don't think a hammer loop would work. Any ideas?

FWIW the 1911 is a 5"

Edited by DarbyFett

If your intent is to carry it in a PC manner like for the "wild bunch" matches ie: hammer down on an empty chamber. There is no reason why a hammer loop or strap with diamond top with a slit that goes over the hammer spur wouldn't work. Really about the only options other than those (I agree ugly) retention straps.

If your intent is to carry it in a PC manner like for the "wild bunch" matches ie: hammer down on an empty chamber. There is no reason why a hammer loop or strap with diamond top with a slit that goes over the hammer spur wouldn't work. Really about the only options other than those (I agree ugly) retention straps.

I don't shoot Wild Bunch, this is more of a "woods loafing" holster.

That is definitely something to consider though.

Thanks for the idea!

Had a facepalm moment just now. Looking at "Wild Bunch" holsters(Thanks Denster!), I saw a holster where the normal hammer loop went over the hammer AND the beavertail, allowing it to be carried cocked and locked. Problemo solved. Thanks!