kiltboy

Period Renaissance Double-Ring Purse

SO.... this is my first real post here, but not my first project~ I've been historical reenacting for many years- over half my life, and as time has gone by, gotten better and better at research. This particular project is my girlfriends' pouch, or rather "girdle purse". It is desogned after a find from Holland, as depicted in Olaf Goubitz's book "Purses in Pieces", page 51 (I think~). First a pic of the rings- made of mild steel, with brass and copper beads.

full rings comp.jpg

Next, the open inner pouch. This has a drawstring; it rests inside the outer bag, closing it. It is made of doe-kid from Tandy, and swen onto the rings with the same. The beads are bone, found in my odd collection of stuff... and the strings are natural-dyed wool, which I braided.

open 1 comp.jpg

Finally, the whole thing. The outer leather is from my frind's old Barcalounger... Waste not, after all! It is turned inside out, and has a wonderful, soft hand. The bottom tassels are wool over a bead, drawn through a hole in the pouch, then whipped in place with dyed linen.

complete comp.jpg

In any case- everyone loves it- even those who are NOT reenactors! My first contract is from a woman who wants one for her daily wear- the only difference for hers is that it will have a strap instead of the hook.

Hope you like it!

Robert in Reno

post-7552-12653018266_thumb.jpg

post-7552-126530199378_thumb.jpg

post-7552-126530210601_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiltboy

WOW...THAT IS NEET, BET YOU HAD FUN WITH THAT PROJECT AND THE REUSE OF MATERIAL IS GREAT ..LOVE THE METAL WORK ....THANKS FOR SHARING ....Doc....

WOW...THAT IS NEET, BET YOU HAD FUN WITH THAT PROJECT AND THE REUSE OF MATERIAL IS GREAT ..LOVE THE METAL WORK ....THANKS FOR SHARING ....Doc....

Thanks, Doc! I make knives most of the time, real, useable knives- so the metal work is pretty easy, but fun to do something different. I love how you can bend and work iron into shapes of beauty, simplicity and strength. I also HATE to throw away good stuff, so when the chair was going away- I jumped on the chance to get the leather! Another project I'll post is a sword handle and sheath made from the same barcalounger. That is a project I'm enjoying a great deal- and the sword will be fun, too!

Thanks again!

Robert

Very nice work, Robert, and great re-cycling of material.

I'm slightly puzzled how the rings are used. Are there two separate pouches, one inside the other? Also how does the purse attach to the girdle? An idea of size would be useful too.

A few more pictures would be very helpful so we can understand this lovely thing better.

Ray

Very nice work, Robert, and great re-cycling of material.

I'm slightly puzzled how the rings are used. Are there two separate pouches, one inside the other? Also how does the purse attach to the girdle? An idea of size would be useful too.

A few more pictures would be very helpful so we can understand this lovely thing better.

Ray

OK- don't have too many more pics, but what I've got is this- Overall size is about 12" bt 9 1/2", the rings are aboout5" inside width for the smaller one. You just need to make it so you get stuck in the "Monkey Trap" is all... This is a pic, from the top so you can see how you get into the larger pouch, simply lift the top (deerskin) pouch out of the outer ring~ I intend to remove about 3/4- 1 1/4 of length from the bottom- hence the rough stitching. I needed to see how it worked first.

double pouch comp.jpg

This is how it hooks to the belt (or, more properly, "girdle"). The metal hook is on a short length- about 3", and it swivels.

hanger comp.jpg

This hanger will be modified by an additional segment, to allow for more freedom of movement, but that's for another time. I make these for my business, now- since yesterday, I've sent a few pics out- and have orders for 6 more, in various leathers! Yay! After a couple months of no real income, this is a nice change.

Hope that clears it up a bit- again, get the book called "purses in Pieces" and it's all there. Well worth the cost, especially since the re-prints only cost $12 US!

post-7552-126538600362_thumb.jpg

post-7552-126538616203_thumb.jpg

What a great piece! I also have the book and intend to make various pouches but got a little side tracked by the wax tablets and case and had fun re-creating it. Thanks for the insight in the rings... I like the idea of the drawstring for the inner pouch, I was playing with the idea of a flap cover for the bag that was big enough to cover both inner and outer rings. Again great piece! Thank you for sharing.

Edited by jana

What a great piece! I also have the book and intend to make various pouches but got a little side tracked by the wax tablets and case and had fun re-creating it. Thanks for the insight in the rings... I like the idea of the drawstring for the inner pouch, I was playing with the idea of a flap cover for the bag that was big enough to cover both inner and outer rings. Again great piece! Thank you for sharing.

Between his book "Stepping Through Time" and "Purses in Pieces", I've got enough projects to last 3 or 4 lifetimes! Assuming I ever reach the skill level requyired to do some of them, of course!

My next project is the "mother purse" he has illustrated the cut pattern for. Ought to be interesting~ I was looking at the tablets last night- might try one soon (soon-ish, really~). I love the example one- 3 tablets, double-layer... neat!

If you needed a set of rings- let me know, I can make them should you not have a source. I generally prefer the simpler patterns,but can do most anything~

and thanks for the kind words! When you do yours, post it!

Robert